Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E-E-E-NUFF (for this year)
[cool] I just couldn't let a beautiful day like Saturday go to waste, so I launched the old kick boat on Saguaro for one last shot at those fickle fishies. Shoulda stood in bed. There were no fish shallow...no trout and no bass to chase them. As I worked my way past the no boat buoys, saw an occasional fish suspended at four feet, in fifteen feet of water.

Finally made it out to the deep rocks and humps in the channel, off the western point entrance to Butcher Jones. Started seeing a few fish near the bottom in 30 feet. Tried spooning and drop shotting. Nada. Worked out to 35 feet and saw a few more isolated fish down deep. Same results. Nothing on spoons or plastic.

Chatted with a steady procession of bass boats coming in and out of Butcher Jones. Nobody had stuck a fish all morning, and I didn't see any come aboard in that part of the lake either. I did enjoy the show put on by a couple of guys in one boat. They were chucking the fabled large plastic swim baits for the bass someone told them were cruising the shallows looking for trout...a month ago. By the end of the day, those guys were either in really good shape...or totally out of it.

Score for the day...my wife and I each caught one 10" yellow bass. She caught hers at 8 AM and I got mine at 11 AM. We figured three hours between such exciting action was just a bit too long. Off the water at noon.

The weather was beautiful. Air temp went from 44 to 70. Water temp was 57 early and 58 at departure. Variable breezes and few clouds. A great day for fishing, but a bad day for catching.

I decided I am not going fishing again until next year. Now, if AZBassMan posts that he was also on Saguaro, and that he ran his Stratos up into the river channel and slayed the fish, I will give him a personal demonstration on how I fillet a large flathead...and he can be the subject.

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYBODY.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
E-E-E-NUFF (for this year) - by TubeDude - 12-30-2002, 01:10 AM