Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS on Boat
Here's how I run my x-85, though it will work with other settings if transducer is working and mounted properly. These settings are for deeper water, 50-150 feet.

Sensitivity--Full blast. SCC--high. Depth Range--zoom in on a 50' column of water that includes the bottom. Grayline--6 to 9 percent. Supression--high. Chart Speed--high. (contrary to popular belief, this speed DOES give you instant readings, just like a flasher. There is NO DELAY!) Finally, NEVER run fish ID or any automatic setting. You control your sonar, don't let it do anything for itself. Its a 192khz transducer, so it runs on 192 khz. The digital setting simply gives you a digital depth reading in one corner, and that's ok, although the number is insignificant. The fish are where they are, in relation to the bottom. The number doesn't matter.

*The most common reason for weak signals on a sonar are improper transducer mounting, a dirty face on the transducer, and/or poor mounting angle. Be sure your transducer is pointed where you are fishing (straight down usually). Different loads in a smaller boat can change where it's shooting. Make everyone on the boat find a spot and stay there, with the boat level. Be sure the transducer is below the transom of the boat, and is not "weak." Transducers wear out or get dirty from road grime. Clean 'em with Dawn. If none of this works, try a new transducer. I replace mine every couple of years. If you can't see your jig, something is not right.

Josh: We need to go fishing again this summer! I was going to call you over the past couple of weeks, but fishing has not been up to our standards. Pretty tough out there on bigger fish.

I'll be hooked-up to a tarpon in 9 1/2 days, in my shorts, sandals, and a tee-shirt!!!

Jim
[url "http://www.fishflaminggorge.com"]www.fishflaminggorge.com[/url]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
GPS on Boat - by WalleyeWiper - 01-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Re: [WalleyeWiper] GPS on Boat - by BearLakeMack - 01-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Re: [WalleyeWiper] GPS on Boat - by Tarponjim - 01-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Re: [Tarponjim] GPS on Boat - by pinksnapper - 01-02-2006, 08:19 AM
Re: [pinksnapper] GPS on Boat - by Tarponjim - 01-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Re: [WalleyeWiper] GPS on Boat - by Bigcat - 01-02-2006, 02:44 AM