Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell Striper Fest
The weather finally cooperated with a fishing trip to Powell. BigBuck, Woodpile, Macman and myself have been planning this for the last couple of months and finally were able to geterdone.
We made the 7 hour drive down on wednesday morning. We left at 4 and were on the water by noon. We launched at Antelope boat ramp and headed up stream with two boats full of gear, after cruising for a few hours we headed back past our trucks and built camp between the dam and Wahweep. Sweet little spot, except for the giant tsunami's that were generated by the Mondo tour boat..2 times daily running at 9 am, and 2 pm. The 9 am was'nt a problem beings how we were fishen but the 2 pm, washed macmans boat so far up shore that I thougt we were gonna need an air lift to getter back in the water..
We were able to set up camp and still get a few good hours of striper action on wed at the dam. Except for a short brain fart on thursday, we fished the bouy's on the east side for 2 full days and caught at least 130. We fished wed evening all thursday and friday till noon. We filleted enough fish to turn me into a peta supporter. My hands are still in pain from all those poky things that are attached to those 26 inch swimmers.
We had a blast.. we were catchen one fish after another, it was not uncommen for us to have 4 fish at once, most people were coming over and tien right up to our boats just to catch a few for the day. Seemed we had the hot bouy or at least we were holding our mouths right. Seems most those fish are diffenatly on the down swing in their life cycle, so I guess its better to have them in the freezer than on the bottom of the lake, or at least that is the theory. I would of posted sooner but my take of the tasty swimmers was pushen 50# of fillets. Ive been standing over the sink trimming them up and removing the blood line. I think Ill be ok on fish fillets for awhile, in fact Im thinken about haven MGB over for a swimmer dinner..see if I cant get him to enjoy fishing a little more. Hmmm.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Lake Powell Striper Fest - by skipythelurker - 03-26-2006, 01:10 AM