Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard, Wipers and Catfish, Oh my!
I hit Willard for the first time today. I went with a friend from work.
We were on the water by daybreak. We trolled and cast crank baits, minnows and night crawlers.
My friend caught a wiper on a blue and silver lipless crank bait. At first he thought he had a snag, but held one and the snag began to move. We didn't measure it or even get a picture, but it was a nice fish.
Fish were boiling all over the place and I started trying to cast into the boils with out any luck.
On one cast, I hit a small pocket in the rocks right on the shore, the lure wasn't even 5 feet from the shore when it was "Fish on".
When I got it to the boat, I found it was a cat fish that had hit the crank bait.
We went back to trolling when I had another fish on, when I got it too the boat, I found it was another cat fish. Two cats on a crank bait.
About an hour later while still trolling the crank bait, I had my third and final fish on. This time it was a very good wiper.
When I brought the stringer up to put the wiper on, both cat fish were there until I lifted the stringer up and the first one I caught broke the link on the stringer and disappeared.
I put the wiper on and we went back to trolling and about 15 minutes later, Mike tells me, " Your wiper is gone". I thought he was kidding, but no, it was gone.
I caught three fish and lost two from the stringer. Oh well.
We headed in at 11:30. There were boils all over, I cast through them a number of times with no luck.
I had never caught a wiper, so today was a success.
We fished down the north dike.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Willard, Wipers and Catfish, Oh my! - by Playas44 - 06-27-2006, 03:42 AM