Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fourth of July Trip
Wow...all I can say is that ocean fishing was a humbling experience.

We took an all day boat out of Dana Point to Catalina. Yeah, I know it's the furthest point from Catalina but I really didn't feel like having a huge crowd on the boat. We only had 24 people fishing that day. It's about a three hour cruise but many of us slept on the bunks for the entire ride.

I had a Sealine Reel with 25 lb test and a 7' Californian Pole (on sale at Turners now for $40). I'm used to fishing for bass with spinning reels so this new reel was a bit of a challenge. Although I was lucky enough not to ruin my spool of line, I couldn't cast worth sh*t. It was very frustrating. In hindsight, I should have had one of the deckhands teach me at the bow since everyone else was in the rear.

I got so frustrated. I used my spinning real with 10 lb test. I was able to set a few bonito but I could never land them. Line just kept snapping even with a significant amount of drag. I didn't want to leave to much drag because I didn't want to interfere with the other fishermen.

The boat as a whole landed 3 yellowtail and a ton of bonito with a good amount of calico as well. I believe someone caught a sheephead as well.

Moral of the story...know how to cast before taking this type of a trip. I'm not one to give up easily so I can't wait to get back out there and catch me a yellowtail.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Fourth of July Trip - by Mead_Stripers - 07-06-2006, 07:37 PM