Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WF 4-5-6 wt Floating fly line choices? Whats best and whats just overpriced?
[cool] I took lessons in Seattle, from a guy named Dawn Holbrook. He could cast a country mile, and showed us his talents often.

His theory on lines for the guy who fishes as often as he gets a chance, but not on a regular basis, was the Double taper.

He said that because the lines crack down at the business end. When it gets to the point where the line lands with a splash, it's time to swap ends. And of course one swap and the line is a goner. Just pitch it.

Over the years I've had both cheap and expensive. I never cleaned or waxed a line with the exception of using Armorall on one line. Nothing bad happend, but the line was always kind of oiley feeling.

I always liked the more expensive lines though. They cast better, and dont make so much noise as you mooch the line back through the guides.
Those cheap lines make about a scraping noise in the guides>
About like a large Snake would make as he worked his way along under some Tin roofing. Schroooosh Schroooshe.... that noise's gotta be alarming to the fish.

On Floating lines I learned early on to buy the Scientific anglers lines.
You can buy some Jap lines that look like the S.A. floating lines, but soon enough you will see the differnce. The jap stuff is like white Hemp compared to the scientific Angler lines.

Also the Jap lines are so heavy at the end's, that getting the fly to float gently to the water is almost impossible for me.
However the S.A. line, will get me that gentle float pretty often. It's a talent I only have on occasion.

If your just going to troll a wet fly around the lake behind an electric motor, it dont matter how much you spent on the fly line.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [flygoddess] WF 4-5-6 wt Floating fly line choices? Whats best and whats just overpriced? - by Thudpucker - 08-06-2006, 02:13 AM