Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Burbot! (pics.)
I finally caught a burbot from the Gorge.[sly] I caught this 22-incher this morning in Linwood Bay, on a small white tube jig. (not tipped or scented). It didn't fight at all, just reeled it right to the boat. I also heard of one caught around Antelope Flat last week, so they've made their way south. I can say it was VERY tasty! Flaky, white meat similar to perch, walleye, crappie, etc. Not as much flavor as a walleye or perch, but more than a bass. It reminded me of the Dorado (Mahi Mahi) in south Florida, with slightly less flavor, but very delicious.

Anybody know any tricks to filleting one? I did it just like most other fish, but there seemed to be two sets of bones coming off the backbone, one set noticably larger than the other. It worked the traditional way, but was difficult to get every bone out of the skinned filet. Maybe skin 'em like a catfish and pull the bones out when they're cooked?

Mack fishing, on a Sunday, pretty much sucked. We caught a couple babies, and missed a few hits, but the fish were showing little interest in a jig either high or low. Its been a slow past few days overall. The fish are right on the edges of the spawning humps in 70-95 feet of water, and I even marked two or three on top of the humps at 55 feet, but tough times are ahead until November with classic pre-spawn moodiness. They have something other than food on their minds currently, and have also been getting beat-up by fishermen nearly non-stop for the last few months. Water temp. is still a warm 56.

The spawn is coming, and the *#*#*#* snaggers are too.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Flaming Gorge Burbot! (pics.) - by Tarponjim - 10-15-2006, 10:08 PM