Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Wipers and Kitties
Great fishing report, TD. Kudos. Wouldn't mind pursuing some of those Wipers myself - or the cats for that matter.

Once again the superiority of the tube as a stealth fishing tool is seen. Those poor trolling guys will hit a school of fish, hook one, then keep trolling away from the school. Unless they mark the spot, turn around (long process that gives the fish time to move on), come back and anchor they simply run off and leave them, not connecting again until they hit another school and repeat the short-lived process. Very poor efficiency. They also present a much higher profile in relation to the surface so they must stay back or spook the fish. Add to that the movement of the school and the difficulty of manuvering the boat without making noise and you have a very inefficient system - nothing matching the ability of the tuber kick and fish at the same time to stay quietly on them. The only way I can see that the tuber can lose in such a situation is if the fish move too quickly through the area and he/she can't keep up. Obviously I'm not a Wiper fisherman but packs of hunting fish slashing through schools of shad is not beyond my experience. I've seen large trout and suspended bass do the same thing when large schools of shad are present. The only way I can see that you might improve is to have a fishfinder with a side finder so you would spot them even when they don't break the surface.

Obviously your experience has taught you all these things and many more. I'm just making fishing talk.

Love to read your reports when you connnect like this. Great inspiration to get out - SOON!

In fact, this time last year I was fighting off those 5-6 pound largemouths in the lake that ODFW was trying to control. Word is out that the fish are there again this year - only they're one year larger. Same circumstances. "Please come and take as many as you can" is their request. Such a burden! Coincidentally I got word yesterday from my doctor that for the next two weeks I'll be under a mandatory "gag order" - no speaking, teaching, blabbering, etc. to allow my vocal chords time to recover from the nasty throat problems I've had. I hope to wisely put this therapy together with a couple of weeks of vacation time and go over there to chase those pre-spawn LMBs. Your missive above is the perfect stimulus for putting all that together. If it happens I hope to have a good report or two.

Again, thanks for the great report. Keep 'em coming.

z~
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Willard Wipers and Kitties - by TubeDude - 04-28-2007, 12:51 AM
Re: [TubeDude] Willard Wipers and Kitties - by zonker - 04-28-2007, 03:04 PM