Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunday fishing report/ Murrells Inlet
First of all, i'd like to appologize for being so late posting this report. It's been a busy week and I didn't have much time thus far to do much posting. But, off to the report................

It was definately a nice day to be on the water. The wind was calm, the sun was out, and the sweat was pouring off my forehead for most of the day. I couldn't have asked for a better day for fishing, it's ashame no one told the fish. [Tongue]

We started out along the one mile bouy on a slow troll. I had two #00 clarks down on #1 planers, 1 4" umbrella rig off the starbord and a #01 Clark off the port w/ a 3/4 oz lead. We trolled for a good hour with no runs. I had called DR early that morning and he tried the creeks with the tide change, but I don't believe he had any luck either. From there, I move out to paradise reef and change up my rigs. I went to 3.5" drones. I had one on a #3 planer, one on a #1 planer, and I ran two on top. I made about 3 passes before I decided there wasn't anything going on. On my last pass, about 100 yards North of the reef bouy, I marked a nice piece of structure and decided to anchor on it and give the bottom fish a try. About that time, after playing phone tag, I got DR up on the VHF and he was on the way out to give it a try as well. The second I got anchored off the spanish started boiling on top of the water all around me. To my surprise, they would not bite. I know DR tried it for a while, and didn't stir anything up. I tossed clark spoons all around the boat on a lead rig, but nothing.

While I was screwing around with trying to snag a live bait for a balloon, a small cobia rolled up beside the boat. LOL, it's was so hilarious because I wasn't prepared for it and I was running around trying to get a lure rigged to toss at it. Right about then is when I wish I had a live blue crab on board. He made a couple passes and was gone. He dissapiered before I even had a chance to toss a lure at him. Talk about disappointed. That would have been dinner sunday night. [Wink] There aren't too many fish as good a eatting as a cobia.

We finally did start getting bit on the bottom, I even managed to snag a keeper seabass off the reef. LOL, not bad for this time of year and this reef. The chum started doing it's job as the fish were plentiful just below the boat. I quickly had live pinfish on 3 bottom lines and one balloon line. My son was able to land a nice 3' shark just before DR took off back to the jetties. I even got to flaunt it just before he took off. LOL!!!!![Tongue]

On the way back to the hill, I pointed the boat due West and headed to garden city pier, dragging a light spread of clark spoons. We wanted to enjoy the calm water and nice day. During our little joy ride, I managed to snag 3 small spanish in 20' of water, just infront of the pier. And that pretty much rounds out the day.

It really has been hard fishing the last few weeks. Things are really screwed up along the coast. The kings should've been inshore a week or two ago, the menhaden should have already begun their migration, it's just wacked. I'd like to hear some of your fishing reports!
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Sunday fishing report/ Murrells Inlet - by Tarpon4me - 05-30-2007, 02:54 PM