Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you catch grass carp???
I have caught hundreds of these fish, some as large as 50 lbs., and on several occasions, have caught over 100 lbs. of grass carp in an afternoon. I'm in south Florida, so of course the stratagy is going to be somewhat different where you are, but just use this as a guide and tweak it for your home water.

First and formost, get polarized glasses, without, you might as well close your eyes. Second, grass carp are vegitarian but are also, opportunists. They will eat a variety of non-meat baits including, but not limited to; bread, bagels, dough, bread particles, corn, broccolli, colliflower, small fruit, and non-meat based pre made and home made carp baits. Third, since these fish relate to shallow water to feed, 12 ft. long euro style carp rods are unneccasary.
I use a 7 ft. meduim action spinning setup with 12 lb. test berkley fireline.

Now for tactics. If you can locate them and they are already feeding, you're that much closer to getting a hookup. If not, throw out pieces of bread or bagle into the most likely spot. Make sure the free bait floats. Wait. When it is obvious that the carp are taking the free bait without hesitation, make an accurate cast 4-6 ft. ahead of and beyond your target fish. Again make sure the bait floats. No "rig" is needed. Unless your pond is gin clear, you can tie a 2-2/0 short shank live bait style hook directly to your line. Place a tiny split shot 2 ft. from the bait in order to sink the LINE not the bait.

About the bait, form the bagel or bread piece (bagle stays on better) into a round ball about the size of a quarter if not a little bigger. Don't compress it to much or it will sink. Thread it onto the hook until the eye is in the bait. Setup in this fashion with a medium action spinning rod you will be able to cast your offering quite a distance if neccasary.

About the fish, to land one you will either need a extra large net with netting that has a small mesh so as to not damage their scales, or you will have to go in after it. I do the latter, and it is not as difficult as you might think. Get in knee to waist deep and tail the fish with your free hand and roll it onto its side. They usually calm down once you do this.

This is a sparse guide, if you have other questions, ask.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
How do you catch grass carp??? - by mossbergman11 - 02-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Re: [mossbergman11] How do you catch grass carp??? - by beerbattered - 03-10-2008, 01:51 PM