Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Information
Take into account before reading, that I am not much on eating trout in general. I keep a few Rainbows and Browns through the year to eat and release the rest, but I keep my limit of small Lake Trout every time I go. One, Flaming Gorge needs some of the smaller fish taken out, and two, they tase better than other trout to me. Then again, I like to eat Pike too.

I love eating them. They do have a little more slime than Rainbows or Browns, but the meat is very tasty. It is usually tan in color with a hint of orange. The bulk of them that I catch are 3lbs. and they are perfect for the bbq or for baking. I would not try to eat one over 7lbs. again. They get a fair amount of fat on them after that. I tried to eat the 17.5lb. fish mentioned above. About 10-11 lbs. of meat that had more fat in it than regular ground beef. We had to cook it in a manner to melt off the fat. Boil, BBq, etc..

Cook it as you would a small salmon, and you have a very good feast indeed. If you want to try what is in my opinion, the best tasting trout there is, try a Splake. The mix of Lake Trout and Brook Trout creates the most flavorful trout meat I've ever eaten.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Flaming Gorge Information - by Curtisfish - 04-24-2003, 10:51 PM