Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's offroading?
It has it's differences from a Jeep. Most off-road vehicles strive for great articulation of suspension to keep contact with uneven terrain with all four wheels. This makes it easier on dealing with slip of wheels that have less traction. On much of Rattlesnake trail, the Jeeps locked up their locking differentials and that can be useful. But, even having that capability at a push of a button, it wasn't needed for me because the traction management system distributed torque to each wheel individually as it was needed to track either straight or the desired steering curve.

It felt very precise in steering and control. There was zero fighting of the wheel and a confident feeling that it just didn't care about the rough terrain. It even felt like it smoothed it out considerably in a comfortable ride feel.

On the steep incline of silver mining tailings the loose material would slide easily and for a vehicle that might spin a wheel, it would slide out from under that wheel, so it's best to drive up with some momentum and not stop to try to start going again. I did the opposite. Everyone of many photographs I took going up represented a full stop and then resume going up. At no point was there indication of any slippage of any wheel as torque is distributed to each wheel individually as determined by the system computer. I even stopped in the tight tailing spot of almost no clearance and started back up again with it feeling like on tracks because it would go precisely as I steered it even in the loose tailings that could easily have a vehicle start to slide sideways should one wheel spin.

It was fun and I'll do it some more, but the main purpose of my off-roading skills development to learn the capabilities of the car and my abilities is to go to choice places for fishing, camping and outdoors recreation and physical activities for fun and adventure and eating fish!

Ronald Smile

Messages In This Thread
Who's offroading? - by DMcLane - 04-20-2008, 01:52 AM
Re: [DMcLane] Who's offroading? - by lvrider - 07-26-2009, 06:01 AM
Re: [DMcLane] Who's offroading? - by davetclown - 10-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Re: [DMcLane] Who's offroading? - by FisherPrize - 04-20-2017, 04:09 AM
Re: [FisherPrize] Who's offroading? - by dmlucas5 - 05-15-2017, 08:06 AM
Re: [DMcLane] Who's offroading? - by skylarz - 12-08-2017, 01:39 AM
Re: [skylarz] Who's offroading? - by RonPaulFan - 12-12-2017, 02:18 AM
Re: [skylarz] Who's offroading? - by RonPaulFan - 12-23-2017, 10:25 PM
Re: [skylarz] Who's offroading? - by RonPaulFan - 06-30-2019, 07:02 AM
Re: [wiperhunter2] Who's offroading? - by RonPaulFan - 07-02-2019, 10:23 PM