Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish respond surprisingly quickly to fishing
the article mentioned possible stress hormones and I've always maintained that trout are easily stressed out - so I think it's absolutely true. you can see this from several examples, but one of the easiest is how quickly they can die after a catch. (even when handling them with the best of care) some people will try and chalk it up to slime coating being removed or whatever....bah. yes, that stuff is important, but it's certainly not the whole picture.

a good example of their stress level is proven in taste. do this test for yourself if you'd like, but it's a taste test...so I'd recommend testing it on stockers if you practice C&R for trout like I do. I feel much better about taking a stocker to eat than a native or even a larger specimen. anyway, the test - kill the trout immediately after catching it by tapping the right spot on their head. should be plenty of info on the net about this. it doesn't take a huge boulder dropped on their head - just a small rock or hammer in the right spot. then leave your next catch on the stringer to die whenever he dies. just make sure they're both stockers - same age, same forage base, same color meat. (instead of comparing a white meat trout with a red meat, for example, because the difference is huge)

go home and cook both of these fish with the same method and tell me which tastes better. it will always be the one you killed instantly and that's because of the acids that build up in their flesh from stress hormones. I've tried this with other fish species and the difference is negligible. trout "stress out" much more than most fish.

not a big secret to many a trout angler, but some people might be educated from it. speaking of education - the post you made was great! thanks. [Smile]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [Dryrod] Fish respond surprisingly quickly to fishing - by fretfishman - 07-01-2008, 06:02 AM