Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
night fishing state park fees
fuzzy's thread got me wondering what exactly the fees were at the state parks for night fishing. so i sent an email to state parks. here's my email and their response:

[font "Arial"][size 2]mary,[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2] i'm hoping that you may be able to help clear up some confusion for me. i'm a walleye fisherman and so my favorite state park by far is the starvation state park. i have been launching boats there for nearly 20 years. over the years i have had an occasional problem with the people working there, but nothing that's been anything more than a small irritant. most of the issues i've encounterd are the people trying to decide how much to charge me or where i should park. however, recently the issues seem to be more frequent. here's my problem: i mainly fish during the night. i like to arrive close to 10 pm and fish until 11 am or noon the following day. i normally buy an annual state park pass. i encounter a lot of confusion when i enter the park. sometimes i'm let in and out with no issues. however from time to time i'm told that i have to pay a camping fee despite having an annual pass. sometimes i'm told i have to pay a camping fee and park in a different location in spite of the fact that the parking lot is mostly empty both when i launch and when i leave the following day. my favorite: one time an employee deducted the amount of the day use fee from the amount of the camping fee and charged me the difference. i don't understand why i would be charged a camping fee for using the same parking space (usually) and ramp that people only have to pay a day use fee for. i'm not camping. i'm not using the camping facilities. i'm fishing. if i show up at 6 am and fish until 8 pm no one would dream of charging me for camping. so i don't understand why i would be charged a camping fee for fishing from 10 pm until noon? my latest pass expired in june and i'm not sure yet whether i'll buy a new one. i just don't know if it's worth the expense anymore or even if i'll be able to use it. hopefully you can clear this up for me. thanks.[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2][/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2]by the way i have never had this problem at any of the other state parks i visit.[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2][/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2]sincerely,[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 2]trent taylor[/size][/font]
[size 2][/size]

Trent,

The fee schedule and policy for State Parks is all set by the State Park Board and all parks are suppose to follow it. Policy says that day-use ends at 10pm and so your day-use pass is not valid for overnight. We have lots of people that come here for boat camping and we have designated parking for their trucks and trailers (not the day-use only parking lots). The fee for boat camping is $13/night at Starvation. What you are doing is boat camping whether or not you fish while doing it or not. Right now there is a promotion that you get $2 off camping with a multi park pass that would make boat camping $11/ night. I called our Northeast Region office and was told that this is correct with how the policy is now, and that Jordanelle and East Canyon State Parks are charging for boat camping and that every park should be even if they are not.

I am sorry that this is not the answer that you probably wanted.

Sincerely,

Mike Nealley
Park Manager
Starvation State Park
Bus. 435-738-2326

Come and Play at Starvation
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
night fishing state park fees - by moonburnt - 08-13-2008, 11:32 PM