Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with spincast reels
I bought a Daiwa MC 40, Daiwa US 40, Zebco 11, and an Abumatic 274 for a little fishing with my 4 grandchildren. The factory fill line was replaced with fresh Berkley Trilene XL 4# on the 2 Daiwa's and the Zebco. The Abumatic got Bass Pro Excel 8#.

After one day of fishing in a very large and very clean pond, I took the front cover off the reals to clean and inspect line laying. All 4 of these reels had a line groove cut into the rotor where the line comes over the front of the rotor at the pickup pin. The Abumatic also had a groove cut into the pickup pin. This was from one time use.

I called the companies and told of the problem. I was told that was a very unusual problem, not something that happened except with lots of heavy use. Daiwa and Zebco immediately sent out new rotors, Zebco actually sent 2. I am still talking with Abumatic.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with any spincast reel, I am teaching the kids to use open face spinning and will probably not use spincast again, still, I doubt that this is a problem created by my grand-kids.

Thanks for any information and/or suggestions.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Problem with spincast reels - by FrankN4 - 09-05-2008, 05:35 PM