Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Wyoming by Boat, new decal to buy $30 Non Resident
[quote Wyobraz]One last question for you. Would address the issue of spreading AIS via water fowl etc. I have heard that claim several times on BFT, and I am curious about Utah's take on this.[/quote]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Wyobraz,[/#800000][/font][/size]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4] [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Here is an excerpt from the 2010 Utah Aquatic Invasive Species Management Plan which can be found at this [/size][/#800000][/font][url "http://wildlife.utah.gov/mussels/plan.php"][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 4]link[/size][/#000000][/font][/url][size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]. Please note the bolded text. While this is not the most productive method of transporting mussels, it is possible that waterfowl and shore birds can and most likely do transport them.[/#800000][/font][/size]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4] [/size][/#800000][/font]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]As I said before, total elimination is not going to be possible with current technology. The best we can hope for is control.[/#800000][/font][/size]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]
Quote:[font "Times New Roman"]Pathways of Introduction: The rapid invasion of North America and recent expansion of Dreissenids into the west has been exponential due to their ability to disperse at all different stages of life. Dreissenid mussels disperse in many different ways. The first way they move is naturally, being carried passively as planktonic larvae (veligers) in flowing or wind-driven (wave) water currents and by attaching themselves to other organisms such as crayfish or turtles. They may also attach to legs, feet, and feathers of waterfowl and shore birds, but transport on animals is only a low-level vector (Carlton and Johnson 1993). Dreissenid mussels are most typically transported by humans within vehicles or vessels capable of storing and moving water. Recreational boating and the ability to move boats and other equipment long distances in short periods of time is the primary vector and has increased the potential spread of these mussels. All life forms of Dreissenid mussels can be transported in many ways including the following: ballast systems, live wells, bait wells, bilge tanks, ski storage areas, cooling systems, and basically anywhere water can be stored on a boat. Adult Dreissenid mussels are more likely to attach themselves to boats and equipment and can survive several days out of the water. Some adults have been known to survive up to 27 days in the right conditions of cool temperatures and high humidity. Their veligers are more susceptible to dying in hot, dry Appendix A- 38 conditions (McMahon and Ussery 1995). All human forms of introduction can be prevented if the proper precautions and decontamination procedures are followed.[/font]
[/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."

Messages In This Thread
Re: [Wyobraz] Fishing Wyoming by Boat, new decal to buy $30 Non Resident - by dubob - 05-24-2010, 01:51 PM