Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly fishing Kokanee?
OK, I'm posting this because I really am clueless. I've never fished for kokanee before.

Today I was at a local reservoir taking my son out on the kayak to get him out of the house. While I was gathering up to get him home for his afternoon nap I started seeing fish jump nearby by a dock. I went over and saw a ton of red kokanee swimming beneath the surface, occasionally jumping/surfacing. I have always understood Kokes to be deep dwelling fish. I'm assuming by color and time of the year they've moved shallow to spawn. That's where my questions come in.

First, if they're spawning would fishing them cause undo harm to them? Just because I'm not into trolling doesn't mean I want to ruin someone else's good time by hurting a population. Are they jumping because they're feeding on something, or is it part of mating?

I'm sure the kokanee that have already turned red are no good to eat, but they could be fun to catch and release, and add a species to what I've caught on a fly rod, assuming it's doable and ethical.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Fly fishing Kokanee? - by ditchbanker - 09-01-2011, 08:29 PM