Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New tube head around here
Hi, DH:
If you will be WEARING your PFD, I recommend the suspenders type TD has in his pic, otherwise anything will do for a floatation cling to. Also, I would test the PFD in deep water (swimming pool, etc.) to see how it works and how you will sit in the water. Worst case scenario, you will be unconscious and want something you don't have to put on and that will also turn you face up for breathing - the cheaper inflable belt pak type and some foam type will not do this. The suspenders type can also be partially inflated by mouth (for protection against malfunctions/testing, etc.) if you know a hazard is ahead like river rapids, huge waves, etc. Partially inflated it is still more comfortable/ cooler, than the foam type because the bubble pockets move around to conform.

That said, float tubes are a lot safer than power boats/kayaks etc. because of stability design and how/where they are used. Instant sinking is very unlikely - unless you have a troll motor and battery. Most float tubes have at least 2 compartments and some foam which will trap air pockets and can be used as a cling to device.

Just my 2 cents worth, hope it helps.

Pon

[quote dayhut]Thanks Tubedude, and everyone else.
I'm not against just having a carry along flotation piece. In all the years I've boated, I've never made much of actually wearing vests and such.
If I can make a vest fit around my seat back, as suggested, I could live with that.
What I don't want is to absorb valuable stowage with it. I was in the Navy for
years and Assn obsessive about stowage. If you need it, stow it...and have only what you need.
Personally, I like the inflating type of PFD. I expect I will go to one, in time. I'm also a fishing vest fan, and I don't leave home without it. Because I live in South Carolina, though, keepin cool is a factor.[Wink]

I'm really appreciating your comments. Nice, active forum you got here.[/quote]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
New tube head around here - by dayhut - 06-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Re: [dayhut] New tube head around here - by pontoonman - 06-21-2013, 07:03 PM