Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saturday Rod Building Class at Hooked
[cool][size 2]Hey, FFM, as James has advised, you should never experience any problems with your new flyrod setup. There is a minimal difference to fill with the tape and epoxy, and when that all sets up, it is solid. Also, there is never the flex and torque on a fly reel, at the end of the rod, as there is on a large jig stick, using superbraid line and large reels.[/size]

[size 2]Didn't mean to alarm anyone. I knew that BLM was working on a "beat-em-up" outfit, so just thought I would offer some input. For the average fresh water spinning, fly fishing or even baitcasting rods, the old tried and true masking tape bushings work just fine.[/size]

[size 2]Now you guys get the fun part...decorating your new sticks with guides and wrapping. Most of us who have been bitten by the rod building bug seem to go through the phase of wanting to make all kinds of exotic wrappings. But, we find out sooner or later that it doesn't make the fish bite any better, even if it does give you something to look at between bites.[/size]

[size 2]As I am sure you will soon learn, the key to proper rod performance is spacing the guides properly to account for the flexing action of the rod. I use mostly fast tip rods...with the majority of the flex in the top 30% of the rod...so my guides are closer near the top than at the bottom.[/size]

[size 2]That has always been a big part of the appeal of building my own rods...being able to not only have ENOUGH guides on the rod, but to have them spaced right too. That's one of the first things I look at in a finished rod...the number and placement of guides, in relation to the length and action of the rod.[/size]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [FlyFishingMoose] Saturday Rod Building Class at Hooked - by TubeDude - 12-09-2003, 06:27 PM