Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flasher or Underwater Cam
That's just the kind I have. It was a good bargain, and has served well. Though unless it's dark out, or I'm in a tent, it's pretty worthless. Can't see the picture. Helps once you get the dials dialed in too. There's actually two camera inputs I think.
Have you ever noticed how the light draws fish in pre-dawn? Curious buggers.

The two are different tools, different functions, as you've seen. Good advice from folks.

A finder/flasher is a location/depth/activity monitor. It is probably more useful if you have to choose one.

You can watch a broad "cone" of area underneath you, and monitor all depths. Plus - without drilling you can easily check depth. To pick up and move is simple. I got a Lowrance m86c, and I love it. Has a GPS and setup for ice, or boat finding. Color, split screens, flasher mode. I wouldn't mind a stepped up model with the bigger screen and maps, but I got into this for $3bills, via our own site, for sale board.

A camera is more of a "toy" - but can provide some fab-entertainment. I've really only used mine on the bottom - and dial in on one of my two jigs. There's 50 feet of cable, so lots to drop, or pickup (wet). Plus dialing it in can be a pain. I need a table/stand to get it up off the ground, too much stooping for this old man in heavy overalls!

But once you do dial in a jig, and if there's fish to watch - I've seen things from the camera that have led to hookups I never would noticed with a flasher/finder/spring bobber. When a fish inhales and spits a jig with NO tug whatsoever - you can nail them.

Watching HOW they react to your jigging. You see folks bounce rods up and down with all kinds of vigor. Watch on camera and see how a subtle tap allows the waxie to undulate. The BIG JIGs can scare fish away. Many times a jig jig jig rest is the key. But you can see how they respond, and compete.
Bounce it in the mud - see the ploom, and see how fish react.

I'd love to get one of those small LCD systems, some with the build in recorder. But they do get pricey. I've thought about parting with my camera system too. But looks like d_f has ya covered if that's what you're after.

Good luck!

Messages In This Thread
Flasher or Underwater Cam - by boredfishing - 12-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Re: [drowning_flys] Flasher or Underwater Cam - by CoyoteSpinner - 12-31-2013, 03:18 PM