Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UL 9/21 The fruit of our labor
I wanted to hit Utah Lake Saturday morning on the tube, but was a little too busy. So I figured I could go Sunday instead. Woke up to a downpour. I didn't see any lightning... Fishing it is. Got down to Lindon about 6:30 am. I was feeling lazy, so I didn't set up the tube and just decided to tangle the bank.

Wasn't 5 minutes before I had the first cat on the line.
[inline "Utah Lake 9.21.jpg"]

It was real fast action for the first hour. I had a tough time keeping 2 poles in the water. From 6:30 to 7:30 they would hit it hard and not let go. After that I was still getting a fair amount of bites, but getting them to hang on wasn't an easy task. I quit about 10:00 am 8 cats and 2 white bass later.

All fish were caught on carp and shrimp, including the white bass (shrimp). The cats ranged from 22 to 26 inches. I think I'm going to end the season with nothing of worth to put up for the contest.[Image: beaten.gif] The two white bass that I caught were pretty good sized, about 12 inches.
[inline "Utah Lake 9.21 2.jpg"]

[inline "Utah Lake 9.21 3.jpg"]

Now to the fruit... I never keep fish. Ever. I did this day. Figured I better do my part to help thin the herd on our over populated waters, and brought home two 24 inch kitties.[Image: happy.gif] I had read a few recipes here on bft, and semi followed the instructions. I was surprised how easy it was to filet a catfish without a single bone in the meat.

I soaked the filets in water in the fridge for a couple days then trimmed off the not-so-tasty looking bits. I cut the filets into bite sized pieces, dipped them in milk, then into a bread crumb/flour/spice mixture and dropped them into about a quarter inch of canola oil in a hot pan. I just cooked them until the breading was a nice golden brown (probably about 5 minutes). I let the fish cool, then threw them into a corn tortilla with guacamole, lettuce, cheese, ranch and a little sriracha... .. it was delicious.
[inline "fried catfish.jpg"]

[inline "catfish taco.jpg"]

If I was given a piece and asked to guess what it was, I probably would've said "chicken". I could only talk the girlfriend into eating one little piece, but luckily my mom and sister showed up right when everything was done and downed several tacos a piece.[Image: happy.gif]

Needless to say... I'll be keeping a few from time to time in the future.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
UL 9/21 The fruit of our labor - by FishMcFisherson - 09-24-2014, 03:25 AM