Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you wish Utah had browns this big?
I got to fish the White last year and it is pretty amazing. From what I was told, the reservoirs have large numbers of threadfin shad that will die in the winter when it gets too cold and get flushed into the river where the trout gorge themselves. That photo of the 38 pounder looks like a gorged winter fish. Browns I catch in winter are as skinny as they will be all year. I can't image how else a river fish gets that big and I've seen lots of photos of monster browns caught there.

The White itself also has good bug life and lots of smaller rainbows to feed those monster browns.

I don't think threadfin shad can survive in any of our lakes outside Powell and the rest of Southern Utah but it could be crazy fun if Deer Creek had them and they flushed in the Provo. Or Mysis shrimp - they would ruin Deer Creek for fishing but the Lower Provo would have monster trout like the Blue River in CO. I'll leave it to the biologists to decide.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [riverdog] Do you wish Utah had browns this big? - by night_flyguy - 03-31-2015, 02:41 AM