Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extreme high line recovery reel.
My main fishing style for the last few years (I switch to a new style every few years to learn something new) has been various versions of casting and/retrieving lures with spinning reels.

I tend to prefer the high retrieve rates when selecting reels and pair that up with longer rods that mitigate not having lower gearing when fighting larger fish with the right technique of the arms and rod fighting the fish more than gear ratio, so I'm already somewhat prepared for the diSadvantage of not having low gearing for fighting an occasional big fish. Besides, it sort of fits with my deep sea fishing experience to use a technique that doesn't rely solely upon cranking power.

There's a new reel that intrigues me. It has an extremely high 44 inches of line recovery per crank rotation! This is quite uncommon in small light reels. It's even more than my huge surf fishing reel (42 inches of line recovery per crank rotation) and that reel is five times heavier! It's much more line recovery per crank than any of my reels in that smaller class and more than any I know about. Is more line recovery per crank rotation a trend?

I'm tempted to buy it. As I get better with long casts and covering lots of water with casts and retrieves, it seems like it will make an easier job of it and with quicker retrieving after I'm out of the targeted zone, I'm able to get the lure into the next targeted zone quicker.

Does anyone have experience with the higher gear ratio reels or otherwise have thoughts on the advantages and diSadvantages?

It's new at Cabela's:

"The Abu Garcia Revo Rocket spinning reel uses 7.0:1 Rocket Gear Ratio for blazing fast retrieves"
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Extreme high line recovery reel. - by RonPaulFan - 10-03-2016, 05:49 AM