Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp Punishing at its finest.
One disclaimer I must add before you buy a bow and go shooting carp is be careful, it can be addicting.

One thing to understand before you buy a bow and bowfishing set up is the types of set ups and uses. The way we were shooting carp and the set ups we had are for shallow water where the carp can't swim away with your arrow. We didn't have line tied to our arrows and we just used old aluminum arrows I had around. This set up is great for shooting carp in a field like we were but it wouldn't work for deep or open water.

In fact, right where we were shooting there was a big ditch with tons of carp in it but we didn't dare shoot into it for fear of losing arrows to missed fish or fish that could swim away with our arrows. If you are going to be shooting into open water it's nice to have a bow mounted reel with bowfishing line. In this instance you normally shoot fiberglass arrows that you tie onto the fishing line so you can reel the fish in after you shoot it. Gary mentioned we only lost one arrow the whole day but he didn't tell you how he lost it. Gary seemed to have some trouble keeping his arrows in the bow mounted quiver and dropped one along the way. That's how we lost the arrow, it wasn't from shooting.

As far as compound versus recurve it's a preference thing. Compounds are easier to attach reels and stuff to but recurves have less protruding parts that a fishing line can hang up on. If the line hangs up the arrow will snap the line or worse it will come flying back at you and can do some serious damage.

You don't need tons of draw weight to stick a carp. My old compound that I use has enough draw weight on it and has been used to kill a couple elk but it is just right for me for shooting carp. I don't think I drew my bow back all the way the other day while shooting carp. I only use a half draw and don't even look at my sights. I don't know if a kids bow with only 20 or 30 pounds would work really well. With Gary being the wimp he is this bow might be perfect for him. On his bow I had to reduce the draw weight to the point I didn't dare loosen it any more for fear it would all come undone. He has his excuses but I wouldn't trust them.

If the field where we are shooting drains and there are no carp I will have to hit the shallows on the open lake but this again is the problem of losing arrows if I don't have a reel and line. I'm sure there are some questions we haven't answered so feel free to throw some more out and I'll do my best to answer them.
[signature]