Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard water season is just around the corner ...
That's a beautiful thing Dave - I mean having a house full of hot chicks running around in thier birthday suits ! All I got is 400 lbs. of hound laying in the middle of the floor acting like furniture and waiting for some food to fall on them. At least your chicks move occassionally.

Around these parts, it's rare that the weathermen even ever look out the window, let alone make a guess that could reflect anybodies reality anywhere on the planet. They are getting better at telling us what happened yesterday though. We've had some good snow already up in the higher elevations - above 8000 feet. I got snowed on last week while camping and fishing with my hounds - we were up at 9500 feet though. Some of our lakes will be iced over in a couple of weeks and in three, they easily will be fishable, but again, they are up in the mountains.

Sounds like you used the bigger hammer instead of the smaller one to fix your potentiometer problem - next time for the delicate adjustments, try the crow bar first.
[signature]
[Smile] Just getting my snow blower tuned up and the yard ready for the big freeze
[signature]
[reply]
11 hot chicks running around my house in thier birthday suits.

[/reply]
So are you braggin' or complaining?[Wink]
[signature]
YEP YEP YEP!!!
I'm a braggin today, I cant remember the last time I had a hot chick let alone a dozen, birthday suit or otherwise running around my house,[sly]
[signature]
[center]
here they all are, I tossed three eggs today thay were never alive. there are two I am not sure of yet, I will know tomarow for sure.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=12932;]

whats black and white and specked all over?[sly]
[/center]
here is my latest pvc project. my candle for checking my eggs, just wished I would have done it before I fired up the incubator, I could have had me an omlet...LOL
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=12933;][/center]
[signature]
[reply]
I forgot to ask,

What is every one else doing to pass the time while waiting for ice on, I have another whole week before deer season opens here... good thing I got new chickens to help pass the time....[sly] [/reply]
[signature]
[reply]
I forgot to ask,

What is every one else doing to pass the time while waiting for ice on, I have another whole week before deer season opens here... good thing I got new chickens to help pass the time....[sly] [/reply]
[signature]
Dave Help !

The last 2 posts I tried would not show up. The quotes did, but, not what I wrote - I even tried to edit the last one and it didn't work either. I hope this one does. What am I doing wrong ? Is it the quote function that I am using incorrectly or something ?

Dang this is frustrating !
[signature]
[reply]
Dave Help !

What am I doing wrong ? Is it the quote function that I am using incorrectly or something ? [/reply]

reply to quotes below the bottom line

you can also edit out any part of the post you dont need to quote.
[signature]
I think I will have to hook up the snow plow sometime today, 4-6 inches fell about 100 miles due west of me...
[signature]
a foot of snow in new york and a foot of snow in north western michigan I live in MI... got down cold and crispy last night at my house, a wopping *14 and only a half a cup of snow in my yard, all of it on my snow plow....LOL dont ya just love the Ironing?[Tongue]
[signature]
We got about 30 inches of snow up in the canyons, but, nothing down here in the valley yet. A few of the lakes up in the higher elevations are iced over and fishable(by those that are gutsy - that is). But, the temps are down and the waters are freezing quite quickly up there - so, it won't be long before the hard top fishing is in full swing in these parts.
[signature]
shoot the messenger! especialy when he lies....

our weather man said cloudy no sun and high in the fortys. what we got is not a cloud in the sky and the high near 60, I swear he is just telling us what we want to hear...LOL

he said snow by turkey day here in detroit... I think he is just trying to get my hopes up.... Kind of like the detroit lions....LOL
[signature]
We have excellent weather focasters around here - they can tell us with almost 100% accuracy about what happened yesterday. However, they don't seem to ba allowed to look out of a window today. For tomorrows weather, check with your dog, cat, or chickens and see what they think.

Or, just do what I do when the animals keep mum about it and look at the sky in the direction of where the prevailing weather comes from, and check the weather in the cities that are in that direction about 1-2 days away and see what happened there yesterday.
[signature]
I used to go by how high the ant hills were on a given day,

if they looked like a sugar bowl it ment no rain. if it looked like a mountain peek it would rain and depending on how high the ants built it would tell me how much rain I could expect. I have been tempted to dig open the red ant hill in my back yard to see if they are wearing mink yet....

My doggie is really puttin on the fur, (Siberian Husky) means I can expect a harry spring.... bouy dose that little cookie moocher shed...
[signature]
well it peeked again yesterday, 2 1/2 inches of snow, still on the ground here in south east michigan.

they are calling for 50's again on monday...

I would go out and plow but they aint no point to it... it will all disipear on its own in just a couple days.... I did hook up the snow plow just incase, I was expecting a snow around turkey day, just didnt know how much,

I am getting the itch, I found my rods this week, now I have to find my tipups... and sharpen my auger...
[signature]
Ice fishing.... ? Naw this is about chickens! Hey can I ask about one? My son has a hen. It used to lay eggs every day. One day she got real sick and then got better, now she doesn't lay any more eggs. Did the sickness have anything to do with it?
[signature]
I dont mind, I am not a vet, but have raised fowl of one kind or another most of my life.

they usualy stop laying around the end of the summer till winter starts back up. its a day lite hour thing. Now if this has persisted for a year she may have aged out, ususaly around 5-6 years is thier avarage life cycle.

an illness can cause it but thre other things as well that can cause it as well. most common is lack of hormones caused from an poor suplemental diet.

they need greens like grass and other plant, they need grain, they need protien. The easyest way to accomidate the lack of one or all insufficenties is to buy laying mash available at your local feed store (not a pet shop)

age is your predominate factor.

the old story about needing a rooster to get chicens to lay eggs is a misnomer, most of the eggs bought in the store other than free range eggs are sterle. (roosterless) you only need a rooster if you want your eggs to be fertal.

I have yet to see a water fowl and a ground fowl sucsessfuly produce off spring, and yes I have seen them try... goofy birds...

if your hen is 5-6 years old the only reason to keep her around other than being a pet is as a brooder, meaning if she will set on the eggs and hat them she is well worth the feed to keep her.

I have seen them go to 8 years of age, and roosters will continue doing what roosters do till they drop off the weather vain.

to replace a laying hen it is cheeper to go down to the feed store and ask if they buy extras in the spring and have them give you a call when they arive. ask them if they buy strait runs or segrigated chicks. strait runs are cheeper but you will want to pick up a few to be sure you get what you want.

they may take an order from ya, be sure to tell them you are looking for laying hens. there are all kinds of breeds of chickens and not all are for laying tho most all will lay for you... some breeds are ment to be eaten by the time they are 13 weeks old. it is a bad idea to let those reach maturity.

then KFC the rest.... ya cant go wrong with dumplins eather...

another place to find a laying hen is to contact your local 4-H extention. they will put you in touch with some one who may have a hen or a pair for sale.

hope I did not give to much info, my neice and nephews wont ask me questions any more... they complain I give them more than they need or want to know... LOL I tell them in responce that if you take the time to learn a little bit extra on every thing you studie you will have a jump on all the other students.
[signature]
All my pretty pretty snow has melted away today and it only got up to forty, tomarow they are calling for sixty*

maybe the next snow will stick....
[signature]
[left]did the info I gave ya help any? did you try adding green like lettus, cabage, left over salads to your bet hen? or did it start laying on its own again. or did you conclude it had the Asianic Flue? in which case your probably not here.... [Sad]

hope your still with us...

any way time sure has flown by, my fuzzballs now have feathers.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=13331;]

the last wind storm that came though had me playing bug... yep the tree was 4 feet in diamiter over 70 feet tall and across the street from my house leaning my way with a 15 foot crack in it runnng down the trunk.
[/left] [left][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=13332;]

had it have fallen it would have taken out my truck my house me my dog and my chickens. [/left] [left] [/left] [left][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=13333;][/left] [left] [/left] [left][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=13334;][/left] [left]My house is the little shed next to my truck to the left the two story garage in thwards center of the picture.

I called the owner of the property, to get him out to get the tree down, the next day he had a two man crew out with a ladder, he sat there for several hours then left, the next day he had a man out with a bucket truck, he sat there for several hours and left, the third day the owner showed up and said he was going to take care of it that he wasnt going to climb the tree. (I didnt blame him for not wanting to climb a widow maker) he left and I swet it out for a couple more days wondering if some one was going to come and take down the tree before the cold snap set in and the tree froze and busted sending the goliath crashing in to me and squashing me like a bug. on the third day five big logging trucks showed up, man what an operation... wished I would have taken pictures...

I hated to see the willow leave but the last several wind storms in a three week period had done thier toll, destroying all the willows on his property.... Now I feal naked when I step out side...

any way we got snow again last saturday, a whole 3 inches, I even got to go out and plow it with my quad...

the weather man is promising me 6 inches of snow for tomarow morning....

say did you see the news yesterday and today, a 600 pound black bear hybernated under the porch of a house in PA...LOL
[/left]
[signature]