Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snowmobile vs ATV with tracks for ice fishing?
[quote 6x7]Much smaller. Two models (compact and standard)

Mine (compact) is 50”L/24”W/30”H[/quote]

Wow, that is pretty small, sounds like you could get two of them in the back of a truck bed.
Have you been out enough with yours to get it stuck yet? Just wondering how hard they are to get them out.
[signature]
Havent had it in that situation personally so hard to say. Every situation is different depending on snow situation, how heavy of a load you are carrying, how many sleds you are towing, etc. lots of varying factors. The heaviest model weighs in at 340 pounds so pretty light when compared to a snowmobile.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2][quote 6x7]Much smaller. Two models (compact and standard)

Mine (compact) is 50”L/24”W/30”H[/quote]

Wow, that is pretty small, sounds like you could get two of them in the back of a truck bed.
Have you been out enough with yours to get it stuck yet? Just wondering how hard they are to get them out.[/quote]

You can get 2 of them side by side in the bed of a full size pickup or a machine and your sled and gear next to it. I have had mine stuck 2 times. Once in about a 3 foot snow drift on the lake and i just stepped out, moved the back end over gave it some gas and right back moving again. The second time i hit some powder with slush underneath. Again stepped out buddy pulled the front i gave it some gas and out it came. Wasnt stuck longer then about 3 minutes both times.
[signature]
Bob, did you get stuck on the move or when you stopped? Another lesson we learned be mindful of where you stop and if it’s a slush field don’t stop. The 2 times for us we got stuck was because I stopped in the wrong area. 10 years and thankfully never stuck on the move only when I stopped.

Also if with others lift machine will be heavy and pull it to either side of where one got stuck. Don’t get on machine but start and walk it out including unhook and tow behinds. More lessons learned enjoying ice fishing. [Smile]
[signature]
[quote k2muskie]Bob, did you get stuck on the move or when you stopped?[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 3]Stopped both times. In both cases, didn't realize the slush under the snow was there because I hadn't broken through the snow while moving. After the stop, I gunned the throttle and because of the weight I was pulling, the track just dug straight down into the slush and I was dead in the water. Lucky I was with others and we got it going again in short order. I had to disconnect the pulled sled in both cases to get out and hand pull it to a slush free spot before reattaching. Sometimes you don't know the slush is there until its too late. [shocked][/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Wherever I think I am going to stop for any reason I drive right over the spot,make a big circle, and then come back and park on my old track.
Never been stuck using this method.
[signature]
I have been trying to find an electric start for me Polaris 700 . It's a 2003 Vertical Edge . Do you know where I can get one . I have been looking with no luck .
[signature]
I made the plunge and purchased a snowmobile today:

2014 Ski-Doo Skandic WT550F

Electric and manual start
Reverse
Wide track (154"X20"X1.5")
4246 Miles on odometer
[signature]
Nice sled you will be happy with the sled . The reverse is great to have electric start is nice . aswell you get stuck on a sled it's your fault. So be wise and if it looks sketchy it probley is . Congratulations on your new sled
[signature]
Congrats Kent, that machine is a workhorse.
[signature]
Congrats and enjoy and have lots of adventures. Glad I along with others helped in your purchase great machine and call me jealous. Let us know how it all goes.
[signature]
Ski-doo makes a good machine, My dad is 92 and has ridden nothing but Ski-doo for the past 50 some years. He doesn't get out as much as he use to but still rides out from his cabin in Northern Wis. to ice fish on occasion.
[signature]
Carry all that with me as well as a cell phone. Great storage space in my machine. Good luck to you guys at Cascade, be careful.
[signature]
Congrats Kent hope you enjoy your new ride --

ONE thing I suggest is running the ethanol free gas that they sell at Maverick - you will not be sorry.

Also when you get ready to summarize your sled I can help you as I have learned a few things that will make your start-up next year go smooth.
[signature]
[quote Lundman].

Also when you get ready to summarize your sled I can help you as I have learned a few things that will make your start-up next year go smooth.

[/quote]

Thanks Craig, I appreciate that and will gladly take you up on your gracious offer.
[signature]
Not good in slush.
Snowmobile will get you stuck, just further out from shore!
I have had mine since 2017.
[signature]
I have had mine since 2017.
Standard model with reverse.
Hauling extra sleds and people depends on conditions.
I have hauled three sled tents plus snow dog sled, and three people across ice with little snow with no problems at all.
I did put studs in my track to grip better on ice.
[signature]
Kent,

This one will get good traction in the deepest of slush and snow:

https://newatlas.com/howe-ripsaw-ev3-f1-...ank/52994/
[signature]
Thanks for the suggestion but because "...the Ripsaw might feature 16 inches of suspension travel to soak up some rough terrain, but this thing weighs 7,750 lb" I don't think I want to take it out on our local ice anytime soon. Sure would be fun in the snow though, but alas I needed a vehicle for ice fishing.
[signature]
I also saw that it's too heavy, but posted it because it's a fun video to watch and you won't get stuck in anything EXCEPT for thin ice over deep reservoirs.

If we had the cold of some of the ice fishing states where people drive on the much thicker ice with their cars and trucks, an off road capable vehicle would be a good ice fishing vehicle.
[signature]