Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 our new gardening adventure
(03-14-2023, 04:12 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(03-14-2023, 12:07 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Very impressive growth and it appears you are using a lot less of the Down treatment to get good results. So how long has it been now since the plants sprouted?

Hope so. Sprouting times varied between 3 and 9 days when they sprouted, and Sunday was week 4.

Wow, it's been a month already. Did you say you have been eating some of it already? If so, how does it taste?
(03-14-2023, 10:55 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-14-2023, 04:12 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(03-14-2023, 12:07 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Very impressive growth and it appears you are using a lot less of the Down treatment to get good results. So how long has it been now since the plants sprouted?

Hope so. Sprouting times varied between 3 and 9 days when they sprouted, and Sunday was week 4.

Wow, it's been a month already. Did you say you have been eating some of it already? If so, how does it taste?
 No, haven't yet tried any yet as we've still had some lettuce in the fridge. I suspect we will by this weekend though and let you know. 

Today's ph was still a holding at 6.25. 

I've ordered an aquarium heater to warm up the water just a few degrees to see if it'd speed things up. If it gets here by the end of the week, I'll install it on Maintenace day Sunday.

I planted some bunching green onion seeds. What wasn't clear was will you get more than 1 little onion per seed? Do they naturally make several or should I have put several seeds in the same grow basket? I'm learning on the fly here.  

This is fun to learn and hope each time we start over (they reset about every 4-5 months or so) I hope we'll know what worked well and what didn't. At 4-5 months maybe everything that isn't done producing a harvest I will put back in to continue producing. Or maybe they can just be potted up for the greenhouse or garden by that time, we'll see.
That's great at the 6.25. It will be interesting to see if the water heater makes a difference. I'm not sure about bunching onions but yes with one seed you will get one onion on other varieties. 
Are you guys getting rain up there, it's been 40 degrees or higher for the last two nights down here. Do you think it's too early to start collecting water, I guess it all depends on if the overnight temps drop back down below freezing. The first day of Spring is next week, so it won't be long.
(03-15-2023, 01:13 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: That's great at the 6.25. It will be interesting to see if the water heater makes a difference. I'm not sure about bunching onions but yes with one seed you will get one onion on other varieties. 
Are you guys getting rain up there, it's been 40 degrees or higher for the last two nights down here. Do you think it's too early to start collecting water, I guess it all depends on if the overnight temps drop back down below freezing. The first day of Spring is next week, so it won't be long.

Well bummer. It said to plant them, then thin them  to 2 inches apart so I wasn't sure. Oh well. Now I know.... thanks

We left early in very hard rain this morning. Had some good boomers overnight as well. Sadly our temps are still hitting freezing temps and we still have a lot snow to go away however it is lessening but we won't be setting our rain collection up just yet, but soon for sure. I know your signs spring arrive sooner than ours but our daffodils are starting to grow where the snow has receded enough.  

Now that we are finally back home once again, I'll check the ph shortly.
I think, what you said is key to what they mean by bunching onions, from past experience, I have bought onions in a bunch and they were meant to used to plant in rows but for your purposes that will not work because onions grow so big in diameter. You might plant 3 seeds at a time just in case one or two don't sprout but if they all sprout you could use the other two in another location.
 All the snow in our front yard has melted and most of it in our backyard., it's amazing how much has melted in the past week. 
Do you usually start collecting water in April? I know it all depends on when it stops freezing, so I think I'll wait another week or so and see if the temps stay above freezing before I start collecting water.
(03-15-2023, 07:29 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I think, what you said is key to what they mean by bunching onions, from past experience, I have bought onions in a bunch and they were meant to used to plant in rows but for your purposes that will not work because onions grow so big in diameter. You might plant 3 seeds at a time just in case one or two don't sprout but if they all sprout you could use the other two in another location.
 All the snow in our front yard has melted and most of it in our backyard., it's amazing how much has melted in the past week. 
Do you usually start collecting water in April? I know it all depends on when it stops freezing, so I think I'll wait another week or so and see if the temps stay above freezing before I start collecting water.

They are bunching onions as no room for larger ones, so I've learned on them that's for sure. Some I replanted and they have sprouted as well as some original seeds as well. So we'll see just how long it'll take and how they do. 

Typically, about April 15 we can put our collectors out. We still risk frosts but they are not hard frosts to cause damages by then. 

Yesterday's ph was still at a 6.25.
Ph tests yesterday and today still holding good at 6.25, Think this new phDown is winner for its stability. Come Sunday's Maintenance Day, I'll work harder to get it stabilized within the targeted range of 5.5-6. 

We're still getting low teens at night so can't connect our water collection just yet but hope by mid-April we should be ok. Still too much snow on ground to access all our connections easily right now anyways.

So happy we've got our indoor growing to buy some time before we can get out. 

Remember those bell peppers I brought in last fall to winter them over? Well so far so good. They are really nice and green in color and couple have even started to put out leaves. So, I'll move them to warmer location today so they can really start growing once again. Will post more about this on a Gardening 2023 thread.
(03-17-2023, 04:04 PM)jjannie Wrote: Ph tests yesterday and today still holding good at 6.25, Think this new phDown is winner for its stability. Come Sunday's Maintenance Day, I'll work harder to get it stabilized within the targeted range of 5.5-6. 

We're still getting low teens at night so can't connect our water collection just yet but hope by mid-April we should be ok. Still too much snow on ground to access all our connections easily right now anyways.

Remember those bell peppers I brought in last fall to winter them over? Well so far so good. They are really nice and green in color and couple have even started to put out leaves. So, I'll move them to warmer location today so they can really start growing once again. Will post more about this on a Gardening 2023 thread.

That's great that the new product is working so well. Good to hear those bell pepper plants are doing so good, it will be interesting to see how they do once you replant them. Wish I had known you could do that when I had my big garden.
(03-18-2023, 01:27 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 04:04 PM)jjannie Wrote: Ph tests yesterday and today still holding good at 6.25, Think this new phDown is winner for its stability. Come Sunday's Maintenance Day, I'll work harder to get it stabilized within the targeted range of 5.5-6. 

That's great that the new product is working so well. Good to hear those bell pepper plants are doing so good, it will be interesting to see how they do once you replant them. Wish I had known you could do that when I had my big garden.
Yeah, I can't wait to see how they'll do. I read that some have kept the same peppers for over 10 years by doing this every fall. It'll sure saves a lot of money over the years.  

6.25 again today!
(03-18-2023, 04:28 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(03-18-2023, 01:27 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: That's great that the new product is working so well. Good to hear those bell pepper plants are doing so good, it will be interesting to see how they do once you replant them. Wish I had known you could do that when I had my big garden.
Yeah, I can't wait to see how they'll do. I read that some have kept the same peppers for over 10 years by doing this every fall. It'll sure saves a lot of money over the years.  

6.25 again today!

So how many days has it been since you last added any PH down? I'm guessing that the bell peppers grow a little bigger every year when you Winter them over but I wonder if at some point quit growing any larger Undecided
(03-18-2023, 04:56 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-18-2023, 04:28 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(03-18-2023, 01:27 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: That's great that the new product is working so well. Good to hear those bell pepper plants are doing so good, it will be interesting to see how they do once you replant them. Wish I had known you could do that when I had my big garden.

6.25 again today!

So how many days has it been since you last added any PH down? I'm guessing that the bell peppers grow a little bigger every year when you Winter them over but I wonder if at some point quit growing any larger Undecided
Well, you cut them back before winterizing them to the first Y and remove any leaves.  My guess is they will be a little advanced with all their roots and will just produce better and faster because of those roots. but we'll see. Not sure, but I think I kept 6 of them. It's another new experience, LOL
Today was Maintenance Day. Trimmed the roots, added nutrients, a little more ph down, and even harvested some of the lettuce along with a little arugula and spinach (see the pic). 

Ph before doing any maintenance was still at 6.25. I think the additional phdown I added, along with a gallon of water will hopefully hit the target zone this week. Will check ph  tomorrow to see where it stabilizes

[Image: 20230319-1st-lettuce-arugula-spinach-harvest.jpg]
Good harvest, great that the ph is staying that low, looks like you have it figured out pretty good.
(03-20-2023, 02:16 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Good harvest, great that the ph is staying that low, looks like you have it figured out pretty good.
Think so. The ph test today was at a nice 5.75 which is just where I'd like it to be. Just happy I found this new ph down, it's SO much more stable. 

Guess this ole gal can learn new tricks after all. LOL  Big Grin

A few things are just struggling to even sprout.  Sad Not sure why they aren't. It could be that medium we are using instead of soil has a center hole for inserting a cutting into them. I basically used that hole to drop the seed into and maybe that's just too deep for some. I can try to make a shallow slice in them for things that like to shallower and place seed in that slot.
(03-20-2023, 05:29 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(03-20-2023, 02:16 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Good harvest, great that the ph is staying that low, looks like you have it figured out pretty good.
Think so. The ph test today was at a nice 5.75 which is just where I'd like it to be. Just happy I found this new ph down, it's SO much more stable. 

A few things are just struggling to even sprout.  Sad Not sure why they aren't. It could be that medium we are using instead of soil has a center hole for inserting a cutting into them. I basically used that hole to drop the seed into and maybe that's just too deep for some. I can try to make a shallow slice in them for things that like to shallower and place seed in that slot.

Great news, now it will be interesting to see if it will stay down that low for another week. For sure planting any seed too deep will keep them from growing or at least slow down the time it takes to sprout. Bigger seed can be planted deeper but little seed need to be as shallow as 1/4". With seed like carrots I will just sprinkle them on the surface then lightly cover them with dirt.
(03-20-2023, 09:24 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Great news, now it will be interesting to see if it will stay down that low for another week. For sure planting any seed too deep will keep them from growing or at least slow down the time it takes to sprout. Bigger seed can be planted deeper but little seed need to be as shallow as 1/4". With seed like carrots I will just sprinkle them on the surface then lightly cover them with dirt.
I'll do better next time I plant some seeds. SO happy we now have this ability to grow things year-round, especially this winter that never seems to stop snowing. We actually got a like new used one from KSL! So, my plan is to get it started up with our next round of seeds. Definitely, we've learned what does best - all lettuces, spinach. Celery just takes such a long time it may not be worth trying again. Tomatoes are growing well; they may even start blooming soon. Broccoli and cauliflower same thing.  I may also start some things that we could eventually plant outdoors or in the greenhouse.  Bunching onions, chives maybe aren't worth doing again. Of course, carrots or any root veggies are not doable. 

PH still holding stable. Tested every day this week at 5.75.
(03-24-2023, 04:40 PM)jjannie Wrote:

I'll do better next time I plant some seeds. SO happy we now have this ability to grow things year-round, especially this winter that never seems to stop snowing. We actually got a like new used one from KSL! So, my plan is to get it started up with our next round of seeds. Definitely, we've learned what does best - all lettuces, spinach. Celery just takes such a long time it may not be worth trying again. Tomatoes are growing well; they may even start blooming soon. Broccoli and cauliflower same thing.  I may also start some things that we could eventually plant outdoors or in the greenhouse.  Bunching onions, chives maybe aren't worth doing again. Of course, carrots or any root veggies are not doable. 

Sure is nice when a plan work, like the PH down. Anytime you are trying something new, you fine what works and what doesn't, by this time next year, I'm sure you will have a much better idea what will be the most productive to grow on a regular bases. Where do you plan on putting your second grow tower? How much did the used one cost?
(03-24-2023, 11:18 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-24-2023, 04:40 PM)jjannie Wrote:

Sure is nice when a plan work, like the PH down. Anytime you are trying something new, you fine what works and what doesn't, by this time next year, I'm sure you will have a much better idea what will be the most productive to grow on a regular bases. Where do you plan on putting your second grow tower? How much did the used one cost?
 The new-used (#2) was about 1/2 price. It did need a good cleaning but once that was done it was as good as new looking. It has one less row than our 1st one but I figured if another else it would work as spare parts. But now that I want a jump on few plants that we will soon have harvested out, I can move plants into the 1st one that resides in the kitchen dining area. I set #2 up in an upstairs bedroom. I plan to start seeds in it today and get it up and running.
Did the weekly maintenance yesterday. Also trimmed another big bowl worth of the lettuces/spinach (pic) as they were shading the plants next to them too badly. Many of roots were so long (1-1.5 feet long) just after a week from trimming them last week. Having long roots interferes the plant below it from getting water trickled onto it. 

ph was still holding before maintenance at 5.75. The goal was to get it slightly lower this week. Also, will check on Farmstand#2's ph after setting it up on Saturday. I had it close on Sun, so gave it a dose of phDown. I'll check both now that they've had a day to stabilize and update this post with their numbers.
(03-27-2023, 03:55 PM)jjannie Wrote: Did the weekly maintenance yesterday. Also trimmed another big bowl worth of the lettuces/spinach (pic) as they were shading the plants next to them too badly. Many of roots were so long (1-1.5 feet long) just after a week from trimming them last week. Having long roots interferes the plant below it from getting water trickled onto it. 

ph was still holding before maintenance at 5.75. The goal was to get it slightly lower this week. Also, will check on Farmstand#2's ph after setting it up on Saturday. I had it close on Sun, so gave it a dose of phDown. I'll check both now that they've had a day to stabilize and update this post with their numbers.

Wow, that's amazing the roots, grow that long in one week, how far do you cut them back every week? Good to hear the PH is holding so good.