Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First walleye of the year, and hopefully many more to come.
Well, I am officially on the walleye board. It happened this past Saturday on Deer creek. I got on the ice at 630 in the morning and headed out to my spot on Rainbow bay. I tried a first spot that I wasn't seeing much on the sonar. 24 ft of water on a point. Since I didn't like what I saw there I headed farther to another spot. I set up in 21 ft of water off of a rocky shoreline. I have gotten eyes there in the past, both on open water from the float tube, and on the ice. It is a 25-minute hike from the parking lot. I dropped down a tikka minnow tipped with perch meat. Big mark on the Vexilar, and that fish hit. I got it up to the surface and it was a 24-inch brown. The second fish to come in was the target species. The walleye was 3ft off of the bottom and hit my lindy rattling flyer spoon tipped with perch meat. It was a 17-inch walleye, a prize to me anytime. I also got a couple of 18-inch rainbows. I missed a few hits and lost a big fish before I got a look at the species. My guess was a big walleye or a big brown. The only time I have gotten a walleye to hit through the ice is just before dawn or shortly after. On tv shows, they call this a flash bite that occurs at dawn and dusk. I sure hope to get out more this year. I used to fish 2 to 3 times a week, mostly on Deer creek, but now I am lucky to get out once every 3 to 4 weeks. Maybe I will be catching Mahi-mahi within the next week in Mexico. 
Gabe
Congrats, that sounds like a great trip... Thanks for all the details... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
That sounds great, takes a lot of persistence to zero in on those eyes. Good job.
Excellent.  Hope it's the start of a good year for ya.
Well done! You earned it pulling a sled a mile in the dark with super cold temps.
Congrats, I have yet to catch a walleye in Utah. I hope to remedy that this spring.
Deer Creek will be my targeted place I think, although both Willard and Utah lake are closer. Starvation is to far for a day trip but I hope to do an overnight.
Finally have a boat that is both worthy and I can handle alone with enough accessories to make it happen.
Watch for my questions and begs for advice after I get stinky a couple of times. Maybe you can give me a hint or two.
(02-02-2023, 02:26 AM)Gone Forever Wrote: Congrats, I have yet to catch a walleye in Utah.  I hope to remedy that this spring. 
Deer Creek will be my targeted place I think, although both Willard and Utah lake are closer.  Starvation is to far for a day trip but I hope to do an overnight.
Finally have a boat that is both worthy and I can handle alone with enough accessories to make it happen.
Watch for my questions and begs for advice after I get stinky a couple of times.  Maybe you can give me a hint or two.
Back in the early 1990s, I used to do fine for walleye from the bank on Willard bay pre-spawn, during the spawn, and shortly after. Just pitching curly-tail jigs worked slowly. A sensitive rod is a must as the bite can be quite subtle. You can get a tick sensation, feel weight on the end of the line, or the mysterious line just hesitates bite. Sometimes you can feel an actual bite though. Anything that feels suspicious, set the hook. My biggest walleye came from Starvation and it was one of those was those feelings. When you experience it, you will know. It is an addiction for sure. With the lower water levels on Willard, it's harder for me to score them, but I can still catch a few there. Deer creek is my favorite place to catch them. Charleston end is usually a good bet, but right now that area is high and dry. I like to work rocky shorelines and drop-offs near those shorelines. The best depths for me are anywhere from 10 to 30 ft. Echo is an up-and-coming walleye fishery. I missed the best opportunity last post-spawn period because I was too busy to get out on that lake. I tried a couple of times and areas on Echo through the ice and I was not successful. Getting to those spots is hard for me.  I think most of the walleye caught on the ice there were near the dam.  If you ever see an old guy in an orange and grey fat cat float tube on Deer creek, it could be me. Hope that gives you a little insight into walleye fishing. Good luck scoring a walleye.
Gabe
(02-14-2023, 03:19 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 02:26 AM)Gone Forever Wrote: Congrats, I have yet to catch a walleye in Utah.  I hope to remedy that this spring. 
Deer Creek will be my targeted place I think, although both Willard and Utah lake are closer.  Starvation is to far for a day trip but I hope to do an overnight.
Watch for my questions and begs for advice after I get stinky a couple of times.  Maybe you can give me a hint or two.
Back in the early 1990s, I used to do fine for walleye from the bank on Willard bay pre-spawn, during the spawn, and shortly after. Just pitching curly-tail jigs worked slowly. A sensitive rod is a must as the bite can be quite subtle. You can get a tick sensation, feel weight on the end of the line, or the mysterious line just hesitates bite. Sometimes you can feel an actual bite though. Anything that feels suspicious, set the hook. My biggest walleye came from Starvation and it was one of those was those feelings. When you experience it, you will know. It is an addiction for sure. With the lower water levels on Willard, it's harder for me to score them, but I can still catch a few there. Deer creek is my favorite place to catch them. Charleston end is usually a good bet, but right now that area is high and dry. I like to work rocky shorelines and drop-offs near those shorelines. The best depths for me are anywhere from 10 to 30 ft. Echo is an up-and-coming walleye fishery. I missed the best opportunity last post-spawn period because I was too busy to get out on that lake. I tried a couple of times and areas on Echo through the ice and I was not successful. Getting to those spots is hard for me.  I think most of the walleye caught on the ice there were near the dam.  If you ever see an old guy in an orange and grey fat cat float tube on Deer creek, it could be me. Hope that gives you a little insight into walleye fishing. Good luck scoring a walleye.
Gabe

Thanks for sharing all of your info and experience! My big question is did you bring any Dorado home? I haven’t been checking the bite down south.
I'll trade a couple perch for a Dorado!!
Joking, I've tried twice to get dorado.
(02-16-2023, 07:57 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I'll trade a couple perch for a Dorado!!

Dorado was out father this time of year. That's what the charter told me. Just Bonita caught. I did see some whales though, kinda cool. 
Gabe
(02-19-2023, 12:56 AM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(02-16-2023, 07:57 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I'll trade a couple perch for a Dorado!!

Dorado was out father this time of year. That's what the charter told me. Just Bonita caught. I did see some whales though, kinda cool. 
Gabe
I had a charter but he never had any decent tackle,  he knew how to find trigger fish so we caught two coolers full.  If you go to Mexico and don't want to spend much money you can't get any big fish, bring your own fishing poles. 7th