Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally, the state legislators woke up – partially.
The UTAH Code dealing with the Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) Program is once again being revised.  The state is finally going to a decal requirement for water vessels being used in Utah.  The fee for the decal will be $20 for residents and $25 for non-residents.  Residents can continue to pay the fee as part of their annual water vessel renewal or first-time registration.  They can also pay it as a separate fee.  In either case, a decal will be issued to attach to the water vessel.  I have been pushing for this through my legislators since the program was started.  So, IMHO, this is a good thing.

HOWEVER, comma, the legislators have once again decided to only require the decal be purchased and attached to water vessels that require registration.  The thousands of kayaks, paddle boards, float tubes, row boats, canoes, etc. that don’t have motors and aren’t required to be registered are still getting a free pass on support of the AIS Program.  Those un-registered water vessels are just as likely to transport veligers as a registered water vessel.  If you disagree with that premise, then why on earth is a float tube with an electric motor a threat but a float tube without a motor is not?  Why is a canoe with a motor a threat, but one without a motor is not?  Why is a 12-foot tin boat with a motor a threat but a 12-foot tin boat with oars is not?  They are all a threat; they should all be required to purchase and attach a decal to support the program.  Fair is fair, and this current law is not.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
As someone who kicks a float tube around the pond, I'm fine with the way it is. Big Grin

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
(02-19-2023, 10:25 PM)gofish435 Wrote: As someone who kicks a float tube around the pond, I'm fine with the way it is. Big Grin

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I am with you bob why do we have to bear the brunt for all instead of all paying the same price? Does this mean that we will no longer have to pay the $30 to fish flaming gorge?  Huh Do I need an invasive species sticker for my kayak in Utah?

"Are you required to display a properly completed Decontamination Certification Form in your launch vehicle when you launch your float tube -- with or without a motor -- in Utah?" Correct Answer: "Yes, a float tube, kayak, canoe, or rubber raft (regardless of whether it has a motor) is considered a boat. Just Saying!!
I don’t own any type of water vessel anymore. I now just fish from shore. However, if you provide me with some contact info I’d be more than happy to blow up their inboxes.
Amen Bob!
I have been saying the same thing for years.
You are just more of a man than me and took it further than I had energy to do so.
On a slightly different note, I would like to add that any boater with a currently registered boat should not have to pay to use a boat ramp for day use.
Overnight camping, sure, but not just for the day.
So, does that mean the AIS online test gets revised on a statement "if it floats". Hypocrisy always rears its ugly head. Boat decor, AIS decals, they can save funding by excepting the boat registration decal as the AIS too since its been paid thru DMV. DNR cannot be naive about the registration.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF