Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Slow Today
I took the boys to Willard today.  Launched about 0730 and fished until about 1200.  Ended up with 3 perch, 14.5", 12.5", and 7".  All caught on Mepps Bantam Syclops in shades of green on worms and chub minnows.

Plenty of them on the finder.  But, I think they have all the dead shad they want to eat readily available right now.
(11-26-2023, 12:19 AM)BoatBallast Wrote: I took the boys to Willard today.  Launched about 0730 and fished until about 1200.  Ended up with 3 perch, 14.5", 12.5", and 7".  All caught on Mepps Bantam Syclops in shades of green on worms and chub minnows.

Plenty of them on the finder.  But, I think they have all the dead shad they want to eat readily available right now.

Which marina did you fish from?
(11-26-2023, 12:19 AM)BoatBallast Wrote: I took the boys to Willard today.  Launched about 0730 and fished until about 1200.  Ended up with 3 perch, 14.5", 12.5", and 7".  All caught on Mepps Bantam Syclops in shades of green on worms and chub minnows.

Wow, a 14.5 " perch is a great sized perch, at least you got a few.
(11-26-2023, 12:49 AM)doitall5000 Wrote:

Which marina did you fish from?

We launched from the north marina.

(11-26-2023, 02:34 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Wow, a 14.5 " perch is a great sized perch, at least you got a few.

Yeah, I saw it come up and thought to myself "how big of a perch would I have to catch to mount it?" 

I don't know the answer to that.  But, 14.5" is close!

Nice work.  What a lot of folks don't consider is that in addition to having plenty of natural food (shadlets) the perch also are operating on lower metabolism.  The same cold water that is croaking the shad is slowing the perch down.  They move slower, eat less and take longer to digest their food.  So it is not uncommon to see more fish on sonar than on the end of your line.

Always good to get the younguns out.  Fishing is always good...even if the catchin' ain't.
I think I'd put in several whole days for one 14.5"er, so can't feel bad about that day at all... Congrats that's a Cascade quality of fish... Nicely done... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Thanks Tubedude and Skunked Again.  I was pretty shocked to see the size of this perch.  And I think I caught him twice.  The first time I tried to swing him into the boat and he got off.  But, I think the exact same one bit again and we were ready the second time.

[Image: bbperch.jpg]
That's like a three taco perch!
Very nice, and I like that it's not all belly like they get later as the eggs grow... Nice fish!!!! J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Thanks, it was definitely a surprise.