Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invitation to see a working ranch
Another thread about land use has got me thinking that maybe folks who live in SLC or other cities may like to see what a working cattle ranch in Utah looks like and does. So I am extending an invitation on BFT for those of you who may have interest. I will be happy to show you range improvements on private and public land, habitat restorations projects, water developments, ect. I can show you some old mining and Utah history locations as well. Swinging away at each other over our disagreements will never mend fences, so to speak. But maybe if we could see a little bit of each others viewpoint over a Pepsi and a few hours of riding around the desert, we might find more common ground? I am a busy guy like you all are. With the ranch, day job, church callings and family life I stay at a lope most days. But if you are interested and willing to drive out to Tooele County, maybe we can get together on a Friday or Saturday when the snow melts and the roads are passable and visit. Feel free to PM me or reply here. If we cant get together in a group, I may be able to take a few individuals at different dates that work. My intention is not to fight or argue or even try to change your position on Ranchers. I just think the debate will benefit from boots on the ground and seeing a slightly different perspective. This board is about sportsmen and women, about fishing and families and about learning and sharing. We have so much more in common than we know. So consider this an invite.
[signature]
What a great idea to bring back a little civility to this conversation. Count me in on a visit to see your operation when I get calving and lambing over with. If I can ever be of any help to you let me know. Thanks for being a great steward of the land.
[signature]
I am up to my ears in lambing and calving too. Lets let the winter fade and spring get rolling and then compile some dates that will work for folks. Maybe no one other than you and I will wanna go?[Wink]
[signature]
I would like to take you up on your generous offer, not because we disagree on anything (which I doubt that we do), just because I am interested in seeing your operation. I grew up in Payson and spent many hours helping my brother-in-law on his farm in West Mountain. His 75 acre or so farm is nothing like a ranch but I have always enjoyed gardening, in a major way, and enjoy touring anything and everything.
[signature]
I'll go especially to see the operations but we are definitely leaving the politics in the dust hahaha! Once we get times and dates in the spring I'll definitely try making my way down.
[signature]
I accept your invitation even though my viewpoint on ranching definitely won't change because I'm solidly with our ranchers along with a few thousand friends who also aren't ranchers, but appreciate them along with their rugged individualism spirit that made our Nation prosperous.

I also extend my own invitation to ranchers. I'm politically active in favor of ranchers and invite them to have and share my contact information.
[signature]
I spent more days that I care to remember as part of the "steering committee", if you know what I mean. [Image: bobwink.gif]

Working for my during high school is when I learned to love being out on the desert with no one else around. If we had a couple of days in the summer without wind, we'd have to go out to the windmills and hook up a generator to fill up the troughs. It didn't happen too often since the wind usually started blowing about the end of April and wouldn't stop until late September.

Most of the time was spent changing water, hauling hay (wet-chopped hopefully; I hated doing dry-chopped hay), repairing corrals, building new corrals, cleaning out mangers, and (worst of all) cleaning out the granary. It was the worst because It was always done during the hottest part of the year in a metal building with no real circulation. There was usually a 6-10" layer of moldy grain along the bottom of the sloping floor. That made it dusty, humid, hot, stinky, and downright miserable. I'd usually go through several gallons of water and gatorade every day. Now, whatever job I'm doing I can say "At least I'm not cleainig out the granary". There are days I miss most of the other stuff (and I still occasionally help my brother on his ranch) , but not that.

Matt
[signature]
As a supporter of being as self-sufficient as possible this sounds like it could be fun, riding around in the desert followed by a juicy steak for dinner on a working ranch would be an awesome day. Another suggestion is to see if the local scouts would be up for learning a few things about ranching.
[signature]
Hadn't seen this post before, but sounds like a great idea... Hope you found a time to make it work out... But if you're like me, things get too busy too fast and it's hard to make these things work out because there's too many other things that have to be done... I'd like to join in as well, but know I can't get away... Thanks for great reaching out efforts... Later Jeff
[signature]