Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarasota Fla. Report 03/09/01
March 9, 2001<br><br>Sarasota Fla. Fishing Report<br><br>By Capt. Bob Smith<br><br>The King mackerel have started! Kings have been caught around the (M) reefs in forty feet of water and it looks like this weekend may be a winner. One of the tricks to getting the early kings is too free-line large live shrimp. I like to use 12 pound test line, 40-50 pound test mono leader with six inches of #3 solid wire and a 3/0 hook. If it is windy and the drift is fast, I may add a small splitshot. To attach the wire to the mono, my first choice would be an Albright knot but a small swivel will work.<br><br>The live shrimp are also good for the snapper and other fish on the bottom. For the snapper, we anchor off the structure and fish straight down, no casting. I like to use 10-20 pound test line with 40 pound mono leader, 3/0 hook and no more than a 1/2 ounce of lead. If you want to target the grouper in the area only, you may need to use live baitfish and a heavier tackle. The grouper are there but the action is slower. Grouper love shrimp but have trouble getting to it before all the other fish.<br><br>Permits have also turned up on the (M) reefs and they only eat shrimp or crabs on top or mid water. If you see the schools on top, cast into them with a free-lined live shrimp.<br><br>Cobia are being caught on the (I) reefs and the bay. Smaller snapper and some nice size trout are also being caught on the bay. You can find sheepshead and snapper around rocks and most any structure. Trout are on the flats and along channels. If the weather works with us, it looks like it may be a good weekend.<br><br>Enjoy and Protect<br><br>www.sarasota-fla-fishing.com <br><br><br>