Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry updates?
Anyone been out on strawberry in the past couple days? Heading up with family and curious if snowmobiles are out on the ice with all the slush etc and how thick the ice is...

Thanks!
[signature]
Three of us were there this morning, soldier creek side. 36-42 degrees with wind and rain. Didn't get a measuring tape on the ice but it seemed 20"+ with the bottom 1/3 solid-clear and the rest white ice in various layers. On top of all that was a layer of slush that at times was almost mid-calf on me and would have been over top of my normal snow boots. Everyone in our group wore waders. I saw a couple side-by-side rigs with snow tracks on the ice and they seemed to handle it OK. I'm not much of a snowmobiler, but I'd dare say a sled would get bogged in the slush.

I personally got skunked today but between the other two guys there were 5 slot limit cutts and 3 bows. The hot ticket today was a pinkhead/white bodied rat finkie with a wax worm. All other jigs and baits got looked at but not touched. We were in 15-22 FOW.
[signature]
What area of soldier creek did you fish today by the highway Dam area or by the campground? Im thinking of heading to the campground area tomorrow but it sounds like the soldier creek area maybe more slushy then the main part of the lake?
[signature]
We were right off of HWY 40 at the pullout for the snowmobile trailhead on FR 090.
[signature]
We decided to go for it and it's not good up here...been raining all day and hadn't quit. Snowmobiles stuck all over the place and 12-14" of slush under a few inches of very heavy snow. Hoping for a freeze tonight but not looking too promising. Marina and soldier creek all have similar conditions.
[signature]