Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to state
Hello fellow anglers, I'm from Utah, lived here all my life(30 years old) and moving to Sacramento area in May. I am graduating college and heading out there. I have mainly fished all species of trout, with a little bass, perch, Kokanee salmon and Muskie mixed in. What kind of fishing can I expect out here? I have a boat, but not sure if I can bring it out right away( depends on rental home space). The family likes to fish lakes, ponds and rivers. Also if anyone would like to go together, we know no one out here and it would be nice to meet the locals. We are outdoors people so I would also take any camping advice in the area as well. Thanks for any info, and look forward to the California living and meeting you out on the water or in the mountains.
[signature]
Hi and welcome to California.

There are a few good places to fish from boat or bank.

The American River is in one of the better bank fishing areas. From below Nimbus Dam all the way to where is meets the Sacramento River is good fishing. I used to live near Watt Avenue and fished alot from there to the Dam.

The Sacramento River is another good area to fish in. There are 2 branches of it and we used to fish in the Deep Water Shipping Canal side of it. During cooler parts of the year, you will find nice Striped Bass there and a boat is more desirable for fishing that part of the river. Almost anywhere is good all the way to the Delta.

Folsom Lake may be more your style for boating since it is rather large. The water level is up to record levels now since the major rains in your area.

The Feather River was also one of my favorite places for Trout. It may be a little messed up for awhile after the major flooding in that tributary. It may take awhile for that one to come back since it is fed by the Oroville dam.[fishon]
[signature]