Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mead bellies vs. Willow Beach bellies
Why are the stripers at Lake Mead so skinny compared to the ones at Willow Beach? I fished from shore at Mead for the past several months and caught stripers with big heads and skinny bellies. Fished the past week from shore at Willow and even the smaller stripers have big bellies and look super healthy. I realize they just started planting trout at Willow again but they aren't planting very many. Last Friday they only planted 500 trout and they estimate half of those are caught and removed by fisherman...not stripers. So that leaves only 250 trout which I doubt is enough to fatten up the large striper population at Willow. What causes the Willow Beach stripers to look so healthy?
[signature]
500? Dang i thought they said they were gonna do 1000 every week. I hope they have a plan to increase that number. I have noticed that i've never caught an unhealthy fish at lake mohave, but many of the ones we've caught at Echo and the Vegas Wash are too skinny to pull a fillet off. The stripers i've caught at mohave seem like they always have crawdads in them, and never found a crawdad in one at lake mead so maybe thats the difference?
[signature]
[cool]I was just out on mead last Saturday and caught a striper that had six crawdads in him. Also a guy that was bass fishing said that he was catching stripers near shore on creature baits. I believe that this was the first striper I had caught that had crawdads in him. I heard that they do eat them ,now its true.
[signature]
The problem with Lake Mead is there are way to many stripers. That why they have no limits on the smaller stripers. Willow beach stripers are very well feed. I don't know where your read the 250 trout being released in 2 spots because I have been out there for the release and they are releasing 500 at the hatchery and 500 at the kayak launch area. They also have crawdads, fingerling carp, shad, sunfish, and even smaller catfish to eat. Big fish are coming up stream, and the big fish can eat bigger food. Some guys are finding eating size cat fish in some of these stripers. Lake Mead also has a lot of food but there are a lot of fish going for it so the bait is out growing the prey. That's why people are catch 1-2 pound shad.
[signature]
You might have misinterpreted my post. The DOW stated they planted 500 which is also what I relayed in my post.
[signature]
So I finally got a rod that can throw a 3 oz lure and was thinking about trying Willow from shore one day. Anyone want to give me a hint on where a good spot may be? I was going to buy an 8 in soft trout swim bait.

I've only been to Willow once, where exactly do they dump the trout? Do people actually have luck on stripers right there? What time do they usually dump the trout on Fridays?
[signature]
Water gets too warm at Mead. Keeps the big stripers too deep to find food in the summer. Mohave has cool water at the surface. Plus the quagga mussels keep the shad population down.
[signature]