Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yuba
It's one thing to justify rotenone to remove stunted pike from a Lake or Reservoir but Yuba has a strong population of Healthy Northern Pike as reflected by the 20 fish limit and the netting video. That kind of limit indicates an abundance of Pike or a desire to simply eradicate them. Yuba has only one Trophy game fish that has been able to thrive with the fluctuating water levels and abundance of Carp, why spend money and resources at any location so restricted by water level.
[signature]
[quote Dog-lover]Yuba has a strong population of Healthy Northern Pike as reflected by the 20 fish limit and the netting video.[/quote]

Huh?!? Have you fished it lately?

[red]⫸[/red][orange]<{[/orange][yellow]{{[/yellow][green]{{[/green][size 4][blue]⦇[/blue][/size][blue]°[/blue][#8000FF]>[/#8000FF]
[signature]
[quote Dog-lover]... why spend money and resources at any location so restricted by water level.[/quote]

Have you read anything previously posted??

It has been pointed out that $$$ spent on rotenone treatment return more $$$$ than if you don't treat.

That video is a very small and narrow scope. Those fish were specifically targeted. That is certainly not a true estimate of population averages in Yuba.

I keep coming back to this: If Yuba was a true quality pike fishery right now, why on earth would those same biologists that made the video want to do anything to it??

You have to remember, those managers also fish. They love fish. They love big fish. That's what they want. Quality fisheries. When they get quality fisheries, they fight anglers to keep quality fisheries. When they have fisheries that need improving, they fight to improve them. They do not operate in opposite world.
[signature]
[quote cje04]

Does anyone know what species will be planted back into the system after the treatments?[/quote]

I'm sure the working group knows. I'm also sure it's in the management plan.

Someone should email Chris Crockett (Central Region Manager) and ask him for a copy.
[signature]
[quote Envenomation09] Good thing Yuba is not stunting at least, though they still wanna poison it for some reason.[/quote]

Their (DWR) sampling suggests otherwise.
[signature]
Lots of big Pike still in there but hard to catch because of the abundant supply of carp. Not too many smaller pike since there's probably zero perch in there right now for them to feed on . Right now you have to find structure if you want to catch pike. The rock wall by the Oasis boat ramp is a good place to catch pike and walleyes. I was there last weekend and saw 3 boats fishing the rock wall and consistently catching pike and a lot of walleyes. The dam is a great spot for both but the rocks are out of the water once the water comes up and the rocks are under water it's on . Biggest problem besides water in Yuba is that there's no structure period once the water gets low. If they treat it and kill everything then it will be carp central once again which to me makes no sense. They should just drain it as much as they can to prevent loss of fish and then put as much structure as they can. They put in a rock pile once they should keep doing the same. There's also a company that makes artificial reefs that they can put it just my 2 cents. If you need some tips on pike I be happy to help .
[signature]
+1000 Leave Yuba alone! Management always denigrates trophy fisheries. Mantua was full of chubs. Also had monster lmb too, now after the failed transformation into a kamloops factory, it has tons of medium mediocre starving bass can be fun but no trophy bass for sure. Bass can't gain weight on bluegills. Kaysville ponds was drained and dredged and managed for stocked trout decades ago, the dredging forever destroyed the shoreline where the bass bedded and they never came back since. The best management is no management, leave nature to do it's thing. We don't need another trout pond. We don't want sterile fish, we want natural fish. We don't want GMO plants, don't mess with fish too. Planter trout aren't edible. they are fed GMO corn , wheat and fish meal. You have meat the consistency of fast food ground beef. People want natural sporting diversity in fish type and size, not a controlled managed community pond.
[signature]
PBH you sir are nothing more than a keyboard warrior! Rotenone is worthless plain and simple! Lake Davis consumed countless dollars in effort to irradicate the pike and eventually the droughts were the winner. DNR will do what they want like always anglers input is of no value unless we're talking trout fisheries. They can burn our money trying like hell to poison Yuba all they want but as long as non game fish are coming down the in- flow it's pointless! Survival of the apex predators will dictate the population..
[signature]