Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pyrimid Lake anyone? Plus acctractant
Hi All, new here.

Does anyone here fish Pyramid Lake? I have some experience there, and I'd like to talk with others who do.

I have this idea for making an attractant ahead of a lure. It's a way to let me cast as far as possible at lakes.

I plan to use a medium sized Needlefish, with a fluorescent red egg-type sinker about 6 inches in front of it. If the lure's action is not right, I'd put the egg 12 inches in front.

I know I will have some casts that make the lure hook onto the line, so I will have to accept a certain number of foul casts.

I have the perfect place to do this at Pyramid, at a very steep dropoff right at the shore, plummeting down to 150 feet well within casting range. The fish at Pyramid hold from the surface down to 70 feet. Fore me, bringing a boat is expensive and a lot of trouble. The flyfishers prove you can catch fish at the surface. I haven't started doing that yet.
Welcome aboard Rogervan. I have fished Pyramid for many years. Sometimes from a boat, other times from a float tube and many times from shore.

I like to use casting bubbles from shore. You can fill as much liquid in the size that you choose and then apply your slightly weighted presentation that can slowly sink down to the level that you desire underwater.

I like to use a 1/16 to 1/8 oz micro jig. Yellow, Chartruese and even brown ones work well. They have a slow descent and get down to the zone on the thermocline. [fishon]
[signature]

I'm familiar with the clear water plugs. Most of my fishing has been on skinny water (I love the high elevation small streams), so the plug of my choice when I needed one has been the clear plastic teardrop shaped ones for the small Sierra lakes. I'm definitely getting a water plug though. Have you ever been at Fordyce Creek, which is fed from releases at Fordyce Lake? It's cold all summer, with a reputation for it's many rattlesnakes. That keeps the crowd away. I'm dying to get there, but a high-clearance 4-wheeler is needed. Can't get a ride for love or money, no guides even. It's near where Hwy 20 meets Hwy 80.

I admit I have a hangup about deep water. I just 'believe' the big fish are deep, yet I know most of the big ones are caught in the first 20 feet. Yet again, I reason, the statistics are skewed, because few actually fish deep. Have you seen the sign at the marina, which reads "The big fish are DEEP"? I just don't know yet.

BTW, thanks for the tip.
Welcome to the site Roger, I can't help you with your questions but maybe someone on our Nevada board can:
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...i?forum=42
I think most members are from the Vegas area but you never know, it won't hurt to ask.
WH2
[signature]
I used to flyfish the creek on my way to Tahoe. Snakes are no problem for me. I am an active herpetologist too.

You are right about the lake. 20 feet is the key to getting into the prime zone of the thermocline. If you decided to bait fish them, a redworm on a #14 Owners Mosquito hook makes quite the presentation for them.

The San Juan Worm would work from the flyswatter. Summer time is good for using Clousers. I tie some with weighted eyes or with wire weight over the dubbing.

I have had luck with spinners out there too. Mepps Comets, Wardens Roostertails and even Panther Martins spinners. You just cast them out and count to about 20 or 25 before reeling in so that the spinner can sink down into the zone.[fishon]
[signature]
Hey Rogervan
I understand the whole problem of access. I would like to get to some of the alpine lakes here in Washington, but even if you can get to them they are regulated to keep all but the rich fly fishers out.
I did find this web site that describes an alternative to the "high-clearance 4-wheeler" needed for access.
Check it out...
http://www.davessierrafishing.com/destin...creek.html
[signature]
No bait allowed at Pyramid in Nevada. The Tribe is slowly opening most of the fishable areas of the lake after the run off storms that destroyed most of the roads.
[signature]
Hi tubeN2, wiperhunter2, lskils,

Thank you all for your replies.

lskiles, great info! I had lost hope in finding that place. I'll get a few quadrangles to use with my compass so I can't get lost. I have a lot of experience doing that. That detailed instructable on how to get to
Fordyce Lake and Creek is a Godsend. I'm planning to build a
ToteGote to get back into those kinds of places. The only thing is, I don't know if it is allowed on trails, especially during the hot dry season. That pic shows the creek at high Spring levels. I can see why kayakers like this stream. I used to do maniacal class 4+ kayaking until I realized I didn't really want to die just for thrills.

tubeN2, do you have a way to cast a bubble with 15-20 ft. of line below it? I have an idea, but I've never tried it. By carefully placing the line on the ground in large circles so when the cast comes, it can lift off without tangling. I expect it would work best with 1/4 and less ounce lures. I'll try that in my yard.

Wiperhunter2, good tip, thanks.

Does anybody use wire mesh to catch the nymphs that live under rocks? Using those used to be the only way I could catch the 3 pound browns scattered throughout the put-and-take planted "trout" in Deer Creek near the town of Chester, which is close to Lassen Park. BTW, I'm certainly not too pure to fish for planteds when it's the only thing around.

My first memory of fishing happened more than 50 years ago on Yosemite Creek. I was eight YO or so, and I remember falling I love right there with small mountain streams. I've been a near fanatical fisherman ever since. My
Dad used a 7 ft. flyrod with the appropriate lines, and liked to walk directly upstream as he made casts. He taught me to do do that. Those are great memories. I'm sure you guys have similar tales.

Getting hooked on fishing is the world's only profitable addiction.

Roger!
[signature]
The water bobbers I have used are the “slip” type of bobbers. You peg a small piece of thread on your line where you want the bobber to stop and when you cast the bobber, half filled with water to add weight and length to your cast, is right up against the terminal tackle. When your cast lands the weight on your line pulls the line through the bobber until it reaches the peg. I use them for a local lake where I need to cast out a ways, but also need to go 12 to 14 feet deep.
[signature]
Hi Roger.

A 20 foot leader would be accomplished as was aforementioned with the thread tied to the line in order to stop it at that point.

I also use this technique but on a spey casting rod which is similar to fly fishing but with much longer peeled out line. I use what I call a "Whip Cast" which is basically peeling out line from the reel, rolling it carefully on the ground and then doing a normal overhand type of cast which can launch the bubble out a tremendous distance due to the 13 1/2 foot rod length.

I use what is called "Boomer" line. It is also weighted and extra slippery so you can shoot it in a single throw. Your San Juan Worm or squiggly plastic can then do it's thing as it approaches your desired depth.[fishon]
[signature]