Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weber 4/7/2017
Went out on the section between rockport and echo just off the freeway friday morning before work and the water was clear and pretty low. Used a rapala since I forgot my fly pole and hit em pretty hard. Got 6 in an hour, the 2 biggest were only 20". Saw 7 fly fisherman out as well but the section I fished I was by myself. The water below echo was raging and pretty muddy. Good Luck out there everyone
[signature]
Thanks for the report! I always wonder whether rapalas will outfish streamers. In muddy water I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Well done with those 20 inchers!
[signature]
Thanks for the report, two 20" fish is worth it in a day itself, in my opinion, let alone all in the same hour! It's tempting to head out their, since thats one of the few low and clear rivers(sections) near by right now. I've never fished that section before, but all I've ever heard is great things, guess I should find out for myself. [fishon]
[signature]
Thanks guys! Yeah you should definitely give it a shot. I wanted to try streamers since I just got into fly fishing last year but all I had was my spinning rod. I've fished rapalas since I was a kid, they are a lot of fun and you can catch some pigs but there is nothing like fightin a brown or rainbow on a fly rod in my opinion. Probably cause its new and different for me
[signature]
Good to know that section has cleared up. Nice work pulling those 20" out! Sounds like a good session to me!!
[signature]
I relate alot to you. I grew up with a spinning rod, and honestly I feel I can dominate any river with a spinning rod and a rapala [laugh] I have self taught myself to fly fish. I love doing both, and feel both have their advantages and diSadvantages. I'll walk miles up a river, with my fly rod and spinning rod on me, Always switching back and forth. It's sometimes a hassle but I enjoy it. I'm usually throwing nymphs with the fly rod, then I'll sweep the area with a rapala before moving on. I love to fish streamers, but sometimes on rivers (especially the weber) I can't help but feel like I could be doing so much better with a rapala, and I usually do. In order to fish with streamers, I have to leave the spinning rod at home and all dries and nymphs. That's the only way I can get myself to practice fishing with it, I still have alot to learn with a streamer honestly.
[signature]
Is the water at Rockport echo section still good to fly fish? I'm trying to find a river to fly fish that's close to Layton and not blown out. So far the only post I found is this one so, it will have to due for being close. I'm open to suggestion. I'm so desperate to go flyfishing that I'm looking at paying to fish at some of the private ponds.
Middle Weber is at 200 CFS. The stream bed is slippery so be careful.
[signature]
Thank you so much! I'll give it a try.
[signature]