Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tips for getting into the game?
Hello! I'm new here and also new to fishing! I went once when I was about 7 years old, but I didn't grow up around fishing. I'm a graduate student in fisheries ecology so the fact that I don't fish is almost embarrassing.

Anyway, I was wondering if any of the ladies on this forum had any advice for a young woman just starting out?
[signature]
Welcome to BFT, where abouts are you located, that may help get you some info.
[signature]
Thanks! I'm in central Illinois
[signature]
Welcome to BFT.

I'm originally from Illinois as well, but now I reside in Utah. Best advice I can offer is to try all kinds of fishing (shore, boat, tube, etc) - so you can figure out which style you like best. Then focus on that style. Often there are community adult fishing classes that can give you good instructions on specific styles of fishing, and you'll likely meet others there who are also looking for someone else to go fishing with.

Have you checked the Illinois BFT site? I know our Utah site has plenty of folks who will give you help if you have a question or you may even get a chance to join them next time they are going.

What about outdoor/sportsman's expos - do you have them there? You could sign up for fishing trips or learn tips from vendors.

Just keep at it - it'll be well worth your effort.
[signature]
WELCOME! I have been coming here for more years then I can remember. ALWAYS get great info and spark great conversation.
Grab a cup of something warm and come sit by the camp fire with us. Make yourself at home and I hope you become as addicted as so many of us are.
[signature]
Welcome!

You have been given some great advice so far.

I would add that I think you should start small with a single fish species or local area that you are interested in. Research it both here and through other media. Then I would go to your local sporting or fishing stores and ask their opinions and advice. If possible hook up with a club or some friends for coaching and company.

Again keep it small when it comes to buying equipment as you explore different techniques and fish. You can focus more (and spend more!) as you gain experience and decide what you like best.

The absolutely most important advice I can give is that whatever you do.... have fun!
[signature]