Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dave Scadden warning
First of all, Dave Scadden has a history of making quality float tubes and pontoons, so this isn't a total rip on them.....but it is and I feel it is justified.

I purchased Dave Scadden's aircraft on the April Fool's Day sale, and I guess I am the fool. I have been eyeballing that craft for a while now, with the claimed hull weight of 3 lbs 6 oz and 700 lb rating. Sounded awesome for my trips into the backcountry, and with the sale it was another $100 less. Mine was promptly shipped, which I appreciated. Upon opening it, and mind you I haven't attached the seat or even the valves to the bladders, it felt heavy. Today, I took it to UPS and had them weigh it, and low and behold it weighed 8 lbs flat. Bare bones, never inflated, not even valves, and it weighed 8 LBS!!! In backpacking circles, claiming a product weighs 3 lb 6 oz and have it weigh that plus an additional 4 lb 10 oz is RIDICULOUS. 8 lbs is a joke, and it isn't packable for long trips at that weight.

I called and talked to Dave, who was polite on the phone, as was I, and informed me there are no returns/refunds on sale items. He offered for me to exchange it for something else, but I literally can't believe the descriptions of any of their products now, so I have no idea what to exchange it for, as it was just for backpacking. I have two other heavier tubes, I didn't need a third.

Be forewarned, if you are buying this product, don't unless you are okay with ten pounds when the seat is actually attached.

I feel like I just wasted $500 and I am pretty peeved because of false advertising.
[signature]
I want to add that the weight doesn't seem to detract from quality. If you feel inclined to buy a Scadden craft, I encourage you to just buy one where weight is not an issue.
[signature]
I find it rediculous that he won't refund the item, unused, because of the false weight. I'm really curious, did he have an answer or response to why he advertises it as 3 pounds when it weighs over double that? Aside from the refund issue, did he have anything to say about the difference in advertised weight vs. actual?

I had a Renegade that I loved, and have an Assault that I married! Love(d) them both dearly, and no issues with either one. I still recommend them.

I feel your pain though. Thanks for the warning. Would love to hear what Dave's response was, or from Dave directly, on the weight issue.
[signature]
I have heard nothing but praise for the assault and others, and I so have been shocked by this transaction. I know this isn't the norm for them, as their products have a great legacy, it just seems odd. Dave claimed he has used them, and I know he has as I have seen the videos prior to my purchase, and said it may have been strange batch of material. 4 lb 10 oz over is really off, not even close. If it were just 1-2 lbs I would be disappointed but probably wouldn't care.

Has anyone else purchased and weighed the Air Craft? If so, please chime in! Dave said it may have been a bad batch of material. I will take it to a USPS location for verification, but UPS had it right at 8 lbs, which matched my scale at home, even lacking the valves to the bladders as I haven't put them on yet. It still sits as it arrived, never been inflated in the box.
[signature]
[quote Duckbutter]I called and talked to Dave, who was polite on the phone, as was I, and informed me there are no returns/refunds on sale items.[/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]I have just two words for you - GET GEPHARDT. Seriously; call him and see if he is inclined to help in this matter. You have absolutely NOTHING to lose and $500 to gain.[/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
You can file a charge back against them if you didn't receive the item as described. Your bank will pull that money back, he will be forced to either take the return to lose the money and the craft...his choice.
[signature]
Your item was not as described and you're entitled to a refund. I once received an $800 product that wasn't what I had ordered and the company refused to accept my return and refund my money, so I paid a lawyer $50 to write a short letter to them stating their options -- Refund the money or go to court, lose and pay all attorney's fees. I got my money back quickly [Wink] There's another option for you.
[signature]
Unfortunately, this is nothing new with Dave. If you search other sites, particularly washintonflyfishing.com, they have endless threads on the non-existent customer service that Dave has provided. Personally, I think Dave does produce a good product, he is nice when you talk to him, and he has innovative ideas, but his lack of follow through with customer service is precisely why I went with Outcast instead. I couldn't be happier, and their service is stellar. I was heavily leaning towards Dave's boats, but there were just too many people complaining about this exact same thing or a simalar issue with customer service, so I bailed on it. I would take the advice above and push the issue.
[signature]