Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake
My father and I would always go down to Fish Lake each summer to camp and fish when I was younger. He passed away a couple months ago and we plan on scattering a portion of HIS remains at the lake over Fathers Day weekend as it was his favorite place.

Now that I am a father i would like to show my son the success we had fishing there when I was a boy but it has been so long since I have been there I don't know what is successful and what isn't. We would normally just catch small rainbows but would like to find success with Splake or Lake Trout. We don't have a boat but will be renting one while there. Are there any tips anybody has to find success at the lake?

Thanks
[signature]
Splake and lake trout fishing at Fish Lake during the summer can be difficult. My suggestion would be to go early in the year--late May or early June--and fish off the weed line with cut bait or jigs tipped with suckers or minnows. Come the middle of June, though, and the splake get tougher and tougher to catch. The lake trout can be caught really early in the morning or late at night after dark trolling plugs that dive deep--preferably off downriggers. But, the fishing for them is tough and takes a lot of patience and time.
[signature]
We went out to fish Lake last summer and rented a pontoon boat. All we did was drift with the wind and use worms or power bait. Put a small sinker/split shot about 2 feet above the hook. Then use either power bait or worm on the hook and drift along and you will catch plenty of rainbows and some splake. Vary the depth of the bait and see where they are at (or rent a fish finder with the boat). This method is easy for kids and those who aren't experienced. You can also troll with lures or Rapalas, or cast from the boat and retrieve lures/rapalas/spoons etc while the others fish with bait. Fish lake is loaded with fish and you should be able to get I to some pretty easily if you rent a boat.
[signature]
If you fish near the weed lines with small hooks and pieces of worm you will catch plenty of perch. A good fall-back if you aren't catching anything else. Go out just a bit deeper and you will find the trout.
If you troll along the cliff-line to the East you can usually at least get into some fish. Any of your usual trout trolling gear will do the trick.
If it's a one-time trip I wouldn't spend the time to try to get into the lakers or you will likely go home with nothing at all.
If Fish Lake isn't producing, or you don't end up with a boat, go over the hill to Mill Meadow. You can almost always catch something from shore there.
My dad grew up just South of there in the Loa / Fremont area so I have a real fondness for that area.
[signature]
Thanks everybody for the tips. We plan on renting one of their pontoon boats with a fish finder and will try to fish just outside the weedline. My hope is to get into some trout in the morning and then during the middle part of the day when fishing is usually slower allow they younger kids to fish for perch to keep them occupied.

If using jigs wound just normal Tube jigs be best or something more like a Rapala jig?
[signature]
I've always liked using castmasters as a jig tipped with a bit of perch meat or even better chub, sucker, or minnow.
[signature]
Sorry to hear about your dad but just an FYI you may want to check with rangers or whoever as to if there are laws or rules about the ashes being spread I'd hate to see you guys get any kind of guff from anyone! My family spread my father in laws ashes off the coast of Kauai and had to follow specific guidelines it was no big deal but make sure you're okay! Or honestly don't say anything or let anyone see you do it!! Good luck and yes I agree he can rest in an awesome place!!!
[signature]