Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish finder
[size 1]I have a bottom line fish finder and I was wondering if anyone knows how to hook it up to a float tube. Thanks

Fishkid [/size]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, Fishkid, welcome to the float tube board. I saw your post on the Utah board but somebody told you to drop in here, so I thought I would wait for you to show up. Thanks for posting.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]There are several models in the Bottom Line stable of fish finders...from the portable Fishin' Buddy to more exotic deep water models. Let me know what one you have...and what kind of transducer you got...and I can give you more specific help.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The Fishin' Buddy is a small "lo-tech" unit that can fit right down the rod holder sleeve on many float tubes. They will also clamp onto a piece of wood you can lash down to the tube. While they are not powerful enough to allow you to see your lure below, in real time, they do help find the depth and identify fish targets. Some folks swear by them. Others swear at them.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]The higher end units can compete with most other makes on the market, in terms of sensitivity, features, etc. The real issue, for mounting on a float tube, is the type of transducer you have. Some have the "bottom mount"...which is a suction cup mount for the hull. Others have the "skimmer" transducer. It is shaped like a golf putter head, and mounts on the transom of a boat. To install it on a float tube, or use it for ice fishing, you usually have to mount it on some kind of shaft...wood, PVC, metal or whatever.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you can get a pic of the mounting bracket, for the display unit, I can suggest a couple of ways to set that up too. You may wish to lash the base permanently in place on your tube...attaching the display before launching...or you can rig up a wood or plastic mounting plate, with the whole unit attached...and then clip it to some D rings when you use it. Lots of variables.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]If you don't have a pic, just let me know the model and I will check the specs from the website. Then I will post the pics and the suggestions.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Good luck. Let's be sure we have you ready to go when the hard water goes away.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have the tournament 1100 model with the golf putter style on it. If yours is similar, then let me know. I can show you what I have or TubeDude can gently guide you through the rest of the types of installations.
[signature]
I have a 1101 tournament Bottom line with a 9 degree transducer. It doesn't have a shaft on it. Sorry I don't have a picture of it but here is one on cabelas it is the one for $69.99.[font "Times New Roman"] Thanks for your help.[/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]Fishkid[/font]

(I edited out your link. It does not work unless you go in through Cabelas main page)
[url "http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jhtml?id=0017543&navAction=jump&navCount=0&indexId=&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search"][font "Times New Roman"][#0000ff][size 3][/size][/#0000ff][/font][/url]
[signature]
[Image: p017543sq01.jpg]

[size 1]Bottom Line Tournament 1101 Sonar Units
Bottom Line's Tournament 1101 gives every angler the chance to discover a new world below the boat. The 1101 is a versatile fish finder with 128 vertical x 64 pixels for detailed resolution. It has a maximum depth of 240 feet and 1,000 watts of peak-to-peak power. Each includes adjustable depth and fish alarm. Screen measures 3.3" x 2.4". [/size]

[size 1]Is this the critter? It would seem to be a decent unit for a float tube...EXCEPT for the 9 degree cone angle. Most float tube fishing is in water shallower than 20 feet. A 9 degree cone angle will not show much of what is going on below you. The 20 degree cone angles of the Eagle and Humminbird keep float tubers more excited because they show more area (and more fishies).[/size]

[size 1]Your transducer will not come with a shaft already, but will have mounting hardware. You have your choice of using that hardware to fasten the transducer to a piece of wood...or leave off the hardware and screw it onto a PVC pipe. The important thing is that you be able to keep the narrow beam of the transducer pointing straight down. If you don't, you will not get accurate readings.[/size]

[size 1]I am attaching a couple of pics to show you how I set up my transducer on a PVC tube. If yours is similar, you can possibly do something similar.[/size]

[size 1]Let me know if we are on the wrong track. Also, I can post some other pics of rod racks, etc. when you are ready.[/size]
[signature]
Thanks for your help. how would you put the screen and the pvc pipe on the float tube? Do you know how much it is to get a 20 degree cone for my fish finder. Thank you again for all of your help.
Fishkid
[signature]
[url "http://www.bottomlinefishfinders.com/site"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bottomlinefishfinders.com/site/html/flashsite/"]http://www.bottomlinefishfinders.com/site[/size][/black][/url][black][size 1]/html/flashsite/[/url][/size][/black]

[size 1]Here is the website for Computrol...the manufacturer of the Bottom Line products. They would be the place to check for transducers. However, one of the readouts I checked for the 1101 said it was a 90 degree cone, and had sidefinder capabilities, as well as temp readouts. If that is true, you are good to go without a different transducer. Here's a link to that site: [url "http://store.aiconsol.com/1101.html"]http://store.aiconsol.com/1101.html[/url][/size]

[size 1]I am attaching some more pics to show how I mount the PVC pipe, and how to mount the brackets for your display. The picture looks like it is a bulky mount so you may have to play with it. The website mentions they have an optional mount kit for attaching to float tubes.[/size]

[size 1]Essentially, you need to get some nylon rope for lashing down the mounting bracket to your tube...left to right or front to back...however the screw mounting holes are arranged. For the transducer shaft, I used to use broom clips on my rod rack, but I now just run some stretch cord around the air chamber and hold it in place with tension. Works fine and is easy to put on and take off.[/size]

[size 1][/size]
[signature]
Thank you for all of your help and all of the time you have spent helping me figure out how to put it on my float tube. Thanks again.

Fishkid
[signature]
TD has helped many of us do the same thing. He has given me lots of tips for my rod holders that I've been making for my tube and my little bro.s new tube. Thanks TD!

A round of applause....[cool][sly]
[signature]
Hey TubeDad, You da MAN!!![cool][cool][cool]
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Golly gee...blush blush. Glad to be of help. And thanks to all you other stalwarts that chip in with opinions from different angles. It is great having a board of experienced "tanglers" that are so willing to help each other out.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]As the old saying goes..."I'd like to help you out. Which way did you come in."[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 1]Hey kid, drop in from time to time as you get your system set up...or if you need some help along the way. We would like to know how it comes out. If you can get a pic to send, so much the better.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I will keep watching and posting here thanks again for all the help it is nice to have people on here that know a lot about float tubes because I don't. Next project is going to build a rod rack. Thanks again TubeDude

Fishkid
[signature]
Hey I have an 1100, my tranducer is shaped a bit like a stingray and is supposed to be mounted directly to the hull. Since drilling holes in my tube was not an option I tie it on. Tying it on before the tube is completely aired, then airing it up the rest of the way secures it nicely. It remain completely out of the way and never needs adjustment. I went for the light type of installs as I didn't want to pack the extra weight.

I agree TubeD they are mostly for seeing structure and bottom lines. Their fish marking ability is limited at best. I will be replacing mine this year with an eagle I think. So FB2 will have a new toy to add to his over laden float tube. LOL if he keeps this up He'll have to stencil a name on the side ofit LOL
[signature]
That's the same one that I have. I ended up making a pvc mount for it that is detachable, doesn't way too much and is adjustable.
[signature]
Hey TubeDude,

Once again thanks for all the tips, but I wonder if we had a sub-category under float tubes with all of the ducer/finder setups that have been discussed here. It seems like it is a fairly popular topic on the float tube board. What do you think?
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 1]Hey, Beeman, it's a good thought. Unfortunately, we ain't as big as the Utah board, so we don't rate subcategories. However, one of my projects is to go back and collect links to the better threads on different popular issues and make them available to those who post a request or PM me on a specific issue.[/size][/blue]

[#0000ff][size 1]I will be doing that in my spare time...between 12:00 and 12:05 AM, on the alternate third Tuesday of each week.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]