Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's
Checked out the lake today , all ice is gone .
[signature]
Thanks. Now we just have to wait a month!
[signature]
be intersting to see their gill net results from this spring, guessing numbers are still down with over all size way up.
[signature]
So Curt did you try out the fishing? lol Have you heard how the spawning went this year # wise?
[signature]
I heard the spawn went well good numbers and size . I tried to drive over to Mill Creek on Island Park Res. And fish of the bank . Still to much snow .
[signature]
Because of the ice going off way early. I am hoping the fish won't be stacked up in the shallows on opening day . It makes me sick to watch the people lined up shoulder to shoulder at the boat ramps snagging fish .
[signature]
Damon just posted two days ago and it was sowing like crazy and there was still ICE, what the heck happened. It is still pretty cold up there.
The gill netting went fantastic and looking really good for this season. I for one am looking forward to it and the learning experience.

https://www.facebook.com/damon.keen.5/vi...378667367/
[signature]
I was there Monday thru Friday. Woke up to new snow every morning except Friday . I drove around the lake last Wednesday and there was no ice anywhere . It was not that cold up there . By the end of the day all new snow was gone .
[signature]
This is good news for me. I will be up there in s few more weeks.
[signature]
Does anyone have the results of the netting survey ? I was told by a person at Henrys it wasn't good.
[signature]
I understand there will be an article come out late Saturday night in the East Idaho News about the gill netting numbers on Henrys Lake.
[signature]
i was up there today at websters cabin area. there was a ton of fish just off shore.it was avery nice day up there.just a t shirt all day!hope the fish get away from the shore before the masses arrive
[signature]
Agree 100 percent , hope they move away from shore .
[signature]
Netting report is out, not so good.
The Henrys Lake 2017 gillnetting process has been completed. The IDFG crew netted 9 nights and set a total of 50 nets for the survey. The crew and volunteers spent approximately 200 man hours collecting data. This large scale survey provides a comprehensive look at the fish population at Henrys Lake.
The trout numbers decreased for the third consecutive year and averaged 5.5 trout per net. This is below our goal of 11 trout per net. Hybrid numbers held fairly stable and are similar to the last couple of years. Brook Trout numbers decreased and are at the lowest level in several years and is directly related to stocking numbers below objective for 3 consecutive years, mainly due to marginal egg quality during that period. The good news is that 200,000 Brook Trout are available for stocking this fall. Those will double the normal goal of 100,000. As fall spawners, Brook Trout are large in size at stocking and should recruit to the fishery quickly. Expect a down year for these fish, but some exceptionally large fish. Brook trout numbers should start improving in 2018. As with Brook Trout, Yellowstone Cutthroat numbers are substantially below objective.
Age class strength is still being evaluated. This evaluation won’t be completed until we’ve aged the fish in a lab setting which will be completed in late fall or early winter. Looking at size structure only, there appear to be good numbers of younger Cutthroat and hybrids. Cutthroat stocking numbers have been bumped up the last couple of years and those fish will start to show up in the fishery this year. The fish stocked last fall (1 year old fish) normally don’t show up in the nets due to their small size. However, last fall’s stocking of Cutthroat was the largest in 5 years and should provide a boost. Egg quality of both Cutthroat and hybrids was good this spring and should translate to good numbers stocked this fall. Wild trout production should be improved this year as well with better water conditions.
Utah Chub numbers were down again this year. The median number was 1.5 per net. What that means is that out of the 50 nets, 25 had either 1 or 0 Chubs caught. That median number is the lowest since 2008 and the second lowest since we began our 50 net survey program in 2004.
At this stage environmental factors including: snowpack, tributary inflow and lake level are improved. This normally translates to improved catch rates. Although overall fish numbers are certainly the largest factor in catch rates, environmental factors play a significant role as well. We saw some many large hybrids and Cutthroat last year and we would expect to see large fish again this year. As with last season and a down year, anglers experienced some periods of good fishing with exceptional fish. In reality we’ll get our best preview on opening weekend.
[signature]
Pretty much what was expected. I think this year may be the year for all the die hard trophy fish guys that you see some monsters come out of Henry's. Won't be a lot but for those people that put the time in some giants will be seen. Too bad the chub numbers are down, if they were up I think we see even larger fish this year than what we will just because of the added prey bio mass.
[signature]
So is it worth the time to make the trip from Salt Lake City on opening day?
[signature]
I don't go on opening weekend , it is a zoo .the last time I did it took 45 minutes to launch and two hours to load .
[signature]
Did anyone fish Henrys on the opening day?????
[signature]
i did. i started out at the outlet and got there at 6 first one there and not a bite. one guy next to us caught 2 and that was it. then we moved over by the cliffs and a couple of boats caught some trolling and that was all we saw.
[signature]
It was tough for us. Caught 3 fish opening morning, 2 cutts and 1 hybrid. Nothing impressive on size. Caught 3 again on Monday, all hybrids with nothing too impressive on size again. All were caught on fly rods. We fished Targhee, Duck Creek, Howard Creek, the Cliffs, and a few spots out in the middle. Saw very few fish caught. I love fishing Henry's but man it has been tough the last couple years. I think we'll be hitting Hebgen hard until the first part of July.
[signature]