Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
amazing halibut picture

I know this breaks the rules, but hey, no bigee, right? Thought you would like this picture from Sekiu, WA. Today was the first day of halibut fishing in the Straits, and these guys were in early in the day. They were fishing out of Olson's Resort, which was purchased recently by an Idaho family. Mike

[url "https://www.facebook.com/MasonsOlsonResort/photos/a.115860765168288.28415.113576892063342/1329025440518475/?type=3&theater"]https://www.facebook.com/MasonsOlsonResort/photos/a.115860765168288.28415.113576892063342/1329025440518475/?type=3&theater[/url]
[signature]
Not sure about what rule you are breaking but that looks like that group of fisherman had a good day, if it were any better that dock would sink, that they are standing on[Wink]. Was that resort purchased recently by an Idaho family that we/you might know?
[signature]
Looks like they need more flotation on their dock!

Great pictures though.

Thanks for sharing!
[signature]
Wiper,
No, I don't know the family. It is the Mason family, and I understand they own one or more RV sites here in Idaho. Their timing was terrible. They bought the resort from the Olsons, and put a ton of money in to rehabing it, just in time for the State of Washington to eliminate coho fishing last summer. This year, the season for coho has been shortened, but there is still a regular season for Chinook and pinks. We stay at Van Ripers, which also sold at the same time, and the new fellow is also struggling. Too bad for such a great destination....hope they hang on. Mike
[signature]
Yeah I seen that on Mason's FB page. Nice haul for sure. I feel sorry for all new players in Sekiu. What a ruff time for them.
[signature]
I used to love gong with my family to Sekiu when I was a kid. Dad would bring his 5hp Evinrude and we would rent one of those little wooden kicker boats and fish out front all day. We would catch a lot of very large salmon back them. Of course the last time we did that was 1962. Things have sure changed.
[signature]
Maybe not as much as you think!! I watched a fellow and his boy catch and release (some) 10 nice sized Chinook fishing out of a rental. Fishing in 50 feet of water no more than 5-10 minutes away from the docks.....near the Caves. Maybe its time you head on back! Mike
[signature]