Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Island Park Reservoir
The docks are in at the ramp near the dam. I fished for 3 hours this afternoon, trolling from the dam over to Bill's Island. I landed 3 rainbows and lost another two. Great day to be out.
[signature]
You did better than me . I trolled 4 hours and only landed 2 yesterday . The docks are in at Mill Creek too . I went out to Westend and Trudes .
[signature]
Sounds like a great way to spend a few hours! I'm headed up in a week with the grandkids. Not familliar with the lake but hope I can troll around and catch and release a few. We are staying on Bills Island. Any tips would be appreciated.
[signature]
Right now the best tip would be to bring warm clothes. We had 6 inches of new snow last night and it is still snowing.

Trolling around the Bill's Island area will usually produce a few fish. Last week I caught all my fish flat lining rapalas with no weight. If things warm up you might also give the West End a try as the shallow water there seems to warm first. Another spot is where Hotel Creek comes into the reservoir.

Good luck and let us know how you do.
[signature]
The fish are scattered so trolling is your best option. I had several bites on a Silver Rattlin Rap Rapala . I put a small sinker about 20 " in front of the lure , just to catch any Moss so it don't go down to the lure .
[signature]
Thanks to both of you for the tips! Sounds like we will bundle up and I'm sure we will have fun! Any day fishin with the family is a good day! I will let you know how we do.
[signature]
[quote Jbworkin]Thanks to both of you for the tips! Sounds like we will bundle up and I'm sure we will have fun! Any day fishin with the family is a good day! I will let you know how we do.[/quote] the forecast for next week is better .
[signature]
Fished Island Park Reservoir last Saturday. We tried trolling near Bills Island using rap alas in various colors, dodgers with squid, various lures and spoons but were unable to entice any fish to give us a look.

Ashton Reservoir on the other hand was fishing pretty well. We used rapalas near the river inlet and did well. Catching mostly rainbow with a few browns thrown in.
[signature]
4 pound rainbow and 2 pounds Kokanee, caught in the last two days . Best day 8 fish caught .
[signature]
That trout is a beauty Curt but that Koke is a Trophy!
[signature]
We were trolling pop gear when my brother in law caught the Kokanee, he jumped 3 times , bringing the gear completely out off the water . Wish I had it on video .
[signature]
Nice!!!!
[signature]
I would like to figure out how to catch a few of the few kokes that are there. I have some lures to try there and at Ririe. My brother has figured them out somewhat at strawberry reservoir in Utah ,they limited out two weeks ago with biggest over 4 pounds . I talked to The fishing game guy and he said they should have a run returning to moose creek. They have had low Kokanee numbers ever since they change the screens or something on the dam for the power plant intake
[signature]
Curt
That's a Koke to be proud of. I manage to catch one every few years.
They stock a bunch of them every year but I can't figure out where they go.

Bill
[signature]
They plant 250,000 every year . . In late July and August they are in 50 to 60 feet of water in front of the Dam . I don't have downriggers, so I can't get down to them . The guys that are setup do well for them . I was at the dock by the Dam last year and a guy told me he had a 5 pounder . I didn't believe him . I asked did you weigh it . He didn't have a scale . So I weighed it for him . It was 5 pounds and in the spawning colors. If I would have caught it , it would be going on the Wall .
[signature]
Great koke. Best Kokanee I've seen out of the Island Park in the 9 years I've lived in Idaho Falls. A five pounder would match the Flaming Gorge for size. Your two pounder is better than anything I've caught in Ririe.

Guess I better make a trip to Island Park and practice with the down riggers.
[signature]
When Ririe Resivior was only about 4 years old . I lived 10 miles from Blacktail boat ramp . We use to catch several 2 and 3 pounds Kokanee.
[signature]
It must have been the availability of feed when the reservoir was new. The largest koke I have caught in the last 7 years is 17 inches and weighted only 1 1/2 lbs. With over 200,000 fingerlings stocked each year maybe there is to much competition for the plankton.

Anyway I still like the availability of Ririe to Idaho Falls and the kokanee are one of the best eating fish there is. During the winter season I am on the ice 5 days a week. Last winter was one of the best seasons I've had for numbers. I caught my limit nearly every day. Why don't we hear more good stories about Island Park and the Kokanee? The Fish and Game stock around the same number of kokanee in Island Park as they do in Ririe. People must only be targeting the trout.
[signature]
Island Park Res is a tough water to fish for Kokes unless you jig. The bottom contours and Koke depths leave little water that is safe to troll with down riggers. It basically leaves you trolling in a circle all day over the same water. If they move off of the dam circle or shoal they are almost impossible to target short of jigging. Most of the kokes caught are bi-catch fish that are hooked when trolling for trout when a koke has moved up into the water column in a shallow area.
[signature]
Fished 5 hours yesterday . Bait fishing was slow . Did OK trolling. With a silver Rattlin Rapala. Got enough for a fish fry . Water temperature 70 degrees .
[signature]