Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Starvation mixed bag
Some friends and I fished Starvation yesterday from 7:30 until 3:00 on our toons/tubes. We were all using fly gear with size 6-8 leeches and buggers with medium sinking lines. We picked up some 14" smallmouth, rainbows from 15" - 20", browns from 18" - 22", and some walleye from 18" - 23". The water temperature was 52-55 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 8'. The reservoir level is about the same as last week, around 88% full and stable for right now. There were some midges on the water and a few fish feeding on the surface after them along with the birds. There weren't many shore anglers but several boats on the water while we were there.

It was a fun day with some good company to share the water with.[Smile]

We are trying to get in all the fishing we can before the Memorial Day weekend and the power squadron starts to show up for the summer.[:/]
[signature]
Sounds like Starvation is hot this year so far. Great report.
Great detailed post and pics, that's one of the best I've read so far this year from Starvation. Great looking eyes as well, especially that big one. One question, I noticed in one of your pics, the guy in the red toon is wearing a face buff, do they really help? There are days, when it's really sunny, when I've thought that I should check into getting one but wasn't sure if they are any better than sunscreen.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2][/quote][/quote]Great detailed post and pics, that's one of the best I've read so far this year from Starvation. Great looking eyes as well, especially that big one. One question, I noticed in one of your pics, the guy in the red toon is wearing a face buff, do they really help? There are days, when it's really sunny, when I've thought that I should check into getting one but wasn't sure if they are any better than sunscreen.[/quote]

I have worn one for a few years and I know it makes you look foolish but I think it helps a lot. I still put sunscreen on the exposed part of my face but not my neck and ears. There are a couple of other benefits of the buff, one is it helps when your fishing and there are bugs around and the other is when it's cold it helps keep your neck and face warm. . In the heat of the summer you can splash some water on it so you get the swamp cooler effect.[Wink]
I also wear the fingerless sun gloves to protect the back of my hands

If you spend a lot of time on the water I would definitely give one a try. I've already had some divets taken by the dermatologist (and they don't replace their divets)[:/]
so i'm trying to avoid anymore problems.
[signature]
[#0000FF]For some of us...who want mercy instead of justice in our pictures...the face covers help avoid scaring kids and animals. Here is a pic I included in my show and tell for DWR...the complete tuber...and that's you.

[inline "COMPLETE TUBER.jpg"]

Nice work...as usual.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Thanks, Pat.

Now you've blown my cover. I'll have to come up with a new disguise when I leave town.

I should have known better than to pose for one of your snapshots.[Wink]

A few more degrees and it will be time for you to venture over to Starvation, although with all the water coming in it could take awhile to gain those few degrees.
[signature]
[#0000FF]I would have probably joined you over there already except I have been trying to get a good trip or two on the local ponds first. I have to drive twice as far as you do for Starvy...and I hate to do that only to watch the white caps roll by.

I have nothing against troutkind and I love walleyes and smallies. But warmer water and the potential for some perch would sweeten the incentive a bit.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]
Great report! Reading these has made me want to give it a try. I still haven't made it though, but hopefully soon.
[signature]
Another thing to know is the there is road construction starting at the mouth of Daniels Canyon and goes untill you start to climb the hill at the top. Haven't seen any cars backed up waiting to go yet but may want to give yourself some extra time.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
[quote a_bow_nut][/quote]Another thing to know is the there is road construction starting at the mouth of Daniels Canyon and goes untill you start to climb the hill at the top. Haven't seen any cars backed up waiting to go yet but may want to give yourself some extra time

That's a good point.

The two friends of mine came over from American Fork and they said they weren't stopped but that they got stuck behind a slow tractor trailer rig. They usually arrive 10 minutes early and they were 20 minutes late because of the construction.[:/]
[signature]
[#0000FF]I can't recall many (any) summers in which there has not been construction somewhere along that road. Sometimes there are brief delays for traffic management. Other times you get hung up for hours either at a construction zone or behind a long line of trucks and tourists.

That is one of the mitigating factors in my decisions as to whether or not to go to Starvation. A long drive if all you get is windblown and/or road frustration.
[/#0000FF]
[signature]