Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard first try at the pig
Yup I think you're right about that pond, but it is a tough one to figure out how to catch fish.. Someday I hope to have enough time to try and figure out how to catch them up there... Thanks for the info... J
[signature]
Of coarse that was back in the days of seasonal fishing with no winter or ice fishing- Not so sure about the no ice fishing in the 80's-------
Back when--- a 20" cut wasn't a rarity- very large browns and an 18" Koke wasn't rare.
The draining of the lake that I don't think needed to have happened didn't help it any either.
[signature]
I agree with you, I started fishing Porcupine the summer of 1977 and had a blast thru the first 10 years or so of fishing it, didn't go for the trout mostly targeting the kokanee. It was nice taking the family up camping by the spring quiet in those days, there were no trees by the launch area in those days and didn't have to worry about people blocking the launch area swimming or fishing. There were some huge cutthroat in there along with browns. The kokanee started getting stunted from being over populated and the lake I think opened up for year round fishing about 85 with a limit of 24 kokes, use to be some pretty large crowds ice fishing there on the weekends. Loved that little lake back in the day I haven't fished it now for a half dozen years or so.
[signature]
I got here to Utah in 76 and started fishing there a few years later but I never remember catching and 18" kokes, how about you Pete, did you ever catch any 18" kokes there? I've heard of them getting that big at Causey, on occasion but not at Porcupine.[:/]
[signature]
I too have fished Porcupine Reservoir for quite a while, about 45 years or so, and have never seen an 18 inch Kokanee come out of there. Also, I'm pretty sure that Porcupine has never been drained to the point that it was detrimental to the fish population. Even when the water storage level has been reduced to just 5% of capacity the conservation pool is still about 30 feet deep.
[signature]
Yes it sure was fun in my early days of learning to fish, we were some real goof ball teenagers doing everything wrong (getting up late, not using decent gear or tackle) and we still caught some really nice fish from a small paddle boat... The year the road washed out, we thought we were going to be the only ones on the lake for opening day... My buddy had a key to the canal road that connected to the main road above the washed out bridge... Only problem was they fixed the bridge and we didn't know it, so we took the 2 mph road in and didn't get there until all the camp spots were filled... Ended up camping on the spring since we didn't see it at midnight when we set up camp... woke up to soggy sleeping bags and wet feet.. Fun times though... Howz the retirement going? You getting some of those ponds fished you haven't had a chance to visit due to working too much before? Sure wish I had more time to do some fishing now... I love fishing this time of year, but never get to do it much, since the farm owns me all summer... So go catch a few for me, give them a kiss and let them go for next time... Later J
[signature]