Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mounting downriggers to fiberglass gunwale on ski/fish boat
I'm looking at finally buying some downriggers this year but have discovered that the mounts are 1.5" wider than the top of my gunwale. Anyone have any experience mounting riggers to a fiberglass runabout like this? I've got an older 19' Maxum boat, picture of gunwale attached below.

I've thought about mounting an "L" shaped bracket on the side, similar to the rod mount in the pic, that would extend over the top of the gunwale and then mounting the downrigger bracket but would love any suggestions or other successful installations that anyone has done.
[signature]
Get some aluminum 1/4 plate or some sturdy hardwood and bolt that to the top of your gunwale. Then bolt your outriggers to that plate. That is what I did to mount my outriggers on my aluminum skiff.
[signature]
Have you looked into gimbal mounts for downriggers? They use a flush mounted rod holder and drop in those. That would be a cleaner look and be more professional. Google "gimbal downrigger mount" and also google "flush mount rod holder".

Some sites give the specs of the face width and the tube diameter.

If there is too much overhang then having someone fabricate a mount to fit is also an idea. (I work with stainless tubing a lot and can tig weld)

Some say that gimbal mount downriggers are a bad idea, but it all depends on how they are secured below the face mount. If you only rely on the three screws then yes, the gimbal mounts will not hold up.

Have you decided on a brand of downrigger? That may also help point you in the direction you want to go.
[signature]
[quote h0yt3r]I'm looking at finally buying some downriggers this year but have discovered that the mounts are 1.5" wider than the top of my gunwale. Anyone have any experience mounting riggers to a fiberglass runabout like this? I've got an older 19' Maxum boat, picture of gunwale attached below.

I've thought about mounting an "L" shaped bracket on the side, similar to the rod mount in the pic, that would extend over the top of the gunwale and then mounting the downrigger bracket but would love any suggestions or other successful installations that anyone has done.[/quote]

Post a few more pictures of the boat, I have some ideas but need a better mental image of the layout.
[signature]
Here are a couple more pics. I did look at some gimbal mount options but not sure there is enough support through the top of the gunwale for that. As far as the model, I'm looking primarily at the Cannon Easi-Troll ST manual downriggers. Inexpensive, but seem to have really solid reviews.
[signature]
I think the most vital thing will be to have strong and wide backing on the bottom side of the fiberglass. If not a metal plate, then good marine plywood. Don't rely on just washers or you'll crack the fiberglass in no time.
[signature]
I agree with a backing on the inside of the fiberglass. Through bolting will provide the best mount. A simple plate the same size as the downrigger base mounted to the deck and the downrigger mounted to the plate will do. 1/4" aluminum will work.

Fiberglass itself does not crack. The resin and gelcoat do and most deck cracks are in the gelcoat and are cosmetic only. Still, they are unsightly and can propagate, so be sure to countersink the holes you drill.

Good luck!
[signature]
I had the same issue on my boat, my gunnels are curved, therefore not providing enough flat surface to get a secure mount for either downrigger bases or track systems. I went with V-locks, which provide the 90-degree mount and then I can remove the V bracket and downrigger base so it doesn't interfere with my boat cover. They've held up well for about 5-years.

[url "https://store.v-lock.com/collections/v-lock-products"]https://store.v-lock.com/collections/v-lock-products[/url]

Another option is the Scotty right angle mount. I've seen anglers with that mount, even running Cannons, so it's worth looking into too. The fit seems more rigid with this mounting bracket too, but space might be a limitation.

[url "https://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Mounting-Bracket-Downrigger-Models/dp/B001M4HSJY/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1496785176&sr=1-5&keywords=scotty+downrigger+mount"]https://www.amazon.com/Scotty-Mounting-Bracket-Downrigger-Models/dp/B001M4HSJY/ref=sr_1_5?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1496785176&sr=1-5&keywords=scotty+downrigger+mount[/url]

Either way, like other anglers have said, I would add a thick supporting plate to the backside to strengthen up the mount.

Good luck, Ryno
[signature]
Thanks for the reply everyone, very helpful information. I was looking at those V-locks yesterday, but they didn't seem sturdy enough to hold the weight with the downward pressure. Glad to hear you've had good luck with them, I do like the clean look of the install with those.

Thanks Again.
[signature]
I've been running this setup for about 15 years with no problems. 90 degree I believe 1.5 inch rod holder. I used 1/4 inch aluminum Plate under the fiberglass for strength. And used some plywood at the bottom of the holder. Went to nps and found some handycap bathroom safety pipe (it's stainless so no rust)and mouneed it to the holder and then cut a slot in the bottom to hold the rigger in place. It has worked great and very clean.
[signature]