Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek from shore?
Hey all,

I will be heading up to Deer Creek. We will probably be limited to shore as the group will likely exceed the capacity of my boat. I haven't fished DC much, so I am heading in blind. I was thinking about starting out in the Walsburg arm and going from there. Anyone have any suggested patterns/techniques or baits that have been working well or have worked in the past. Or other spots from shore we can try if the Walsburg side is a bust?
[signature]
I got lazy and focused in on using a half a nightcrawler strung onto a 4 or 6 baitholder hook with a marshmallow in corn or garlic flavor on the end to float it off the bottom. This consistently catches the larger, firmer fleshed trout for me. That hook goes on a slip sinker rig with a 1/2 oz lead sinker and about 2 feet of fluorocarbon leader. Garlic or corn powerbait also works good floating off the bottom.

Casting and retrieving a swimbait like a CD-5 Rapala would work well for SMB right now, look for rocky shore line or weeds up to the shore. Senkos also work well for SMB.

For flies try your usual scuds and sow bugs but also San Juan worms or bloodworm imitators. Hard to say with dries, not sure what's hatching.
[signature]