Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willow beach double duty
[cool]Went out to Willow Beach this morning and launched the kayak at 4:15am with no wind. Started trolling first off for a couple hours. Took a break across from the fishing pier and then started one more trolling circuit before the plant. I just got the A/C plug out and locked the reel in when the rod started jerking. Hooked up and felt like a good fish. To the net and saw that it was a double digit. Paddled to shore to put her in the cooler and she weighed 11lbs12oz on the digital scale. Got back in just as the plant truck showed up at 6:30am. I tossed around for 30 minutes for nada and no signs of chasers. Started trolling again to the hatchery and then headed south. Took a break at MM52 and then the wind came up at 9am. Started heading back towards the marina and cast into some coves along the way. Picked off two 1.5-2lb stripers in a couple of coves. Lost one at the boat and put the other on the stringer. I was about a quarter mile from the marina and decided to troll the rest of the way to my launch area by the pier. Got the A/C out again, locked the reel in gear and paddled a few strokes when the rod goes bendo again turning the kayak around and twisting the rod holder. This was a better fish and she began to take some line. I played her for about five minutes back and forth and finally netted her. I then released the 2lber that was still swimming around so I could get the bigger fish on the stringer. I saw that she was bigger than my 11lber. Finally got back to shore and she weighed in at 15lbs4oz.
This was my best day at Willow as far as number of fish and two DD. I weighed them at the store and the 11lber lost a few ounces of water weight. Can't wait to go back again.
[signature]
Wow, very impressive fish. Not sure how often those big ones get caught there but a 36"plus fish is very impressive, congrads[cool].
[signature]
Good job. I was down there Wednesday and no luck at all. The sonar for the most part was clean all day.

Tom
[signature]
been there 3 times, skunked all 3 times. Only fish I saw were a couple large suckers
[signature]
I recently found a spearfishing FB page with some vegas guys hitting willow. It looks like they pull out gigantic stripers pretty often. We're talking 10-20 pound fish from the pics... Just about every pic they posted with fish in them, there's at least one or two+ giant stripers.There must be a ton of those big ones in the river.
[signature]
If the water is clear enough, those spearfishing guys can get really close to those big fish but they need to, to get a shot. The fish are not afraid of someone swimming up to them underwater, I guess they figure you are just another fish[crazy].
[signature]
[cool]I have seen those spearfishers once at Willow. They had gone way past MM54 and got some 10-15lb stripers and some carp to 25lbs.
[signature]